Prove the nth energy eigenfunction has n-1 zeros

In summary, according to the oscillation theorem, the eigenfunction ##\psi_n(x)## has ##(n-1)## zeros for all positive integers ##n##. This is shown by considering the behavior of ##\psi_k(x)##, which has ##(k-1)## zeros for some positive integer ##k##, and using the fact that successive eigenfunctions can only have more zeros. Additionally, the eigenfunction ##\psi_1(x)## corresponding to the first energy level ##E_1## has no zeros, as the oscillation theorem does not apply to it. This is further supported by the fact that as the walls are separated, the wave functions for n>N (##\psi_{
Happiness
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 12.39.11 am.png

How do we show that ##\psi_n(x)## has ##(n-1)## zeros for all ##n\in Z^+##?

Assuming ##\psi_k(x)## has ##(k-1)## zeros for some ##k\in Z^+##, by oscillation theorem, we can only get ##\psi_{k+1}(x)## has ##\geq k## zeros.

Also, how do we show that ##\psi_1(x)##, the eigenfunction corresponding to ##E_1##, has no zero? Oscillation theorem may permit ##\psi_1(x)## to have 3 zeros, ##\psi_2(x)## to have 5 zeros, ##\psi_3(x)## to have 20 zeros, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of the oscillation theorem. Could you post the text of problem 3.9?

Edit: I just saw your other thread, where the problem is stated.

Here is a paper that I found giving an argument for the nth eigenfunction having n-1 nodes:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0702260.pdf

His argument is a little hard to follow, but it is short.

Likes Happiness
@Happiness, could you please say which book this is from? I would like to look at this in more detail.

@DrClaude, it's Quantum Mechanics by B H Bransden and C J Joachain, 2nd edition, page 119.

Last edited:
Landau Lifshitz, Vol 3 also has a good discussion.

stevendaryl said:
Here is a paper that I found giving an argument for the nth eigenfunction having n-1 nodes:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0702260.pdf

His argument is a little hard to follow, but it is short.

image.jpg

Does he mean "As we separate the walls, N number of the wave functions (##\psi_1, \psi_2, ..., \psi_N##) go to zero at ##x=\infty## and at ##x=-\infty##, and the positive energy states (##\psi_{N+1}## onwards) become the continuum spectrum"?

Happiness said:
View attachment 93256

Does he mean "As we separate the walls, N number of the wave functions (##\psi_1, \psi_2, ..., \psi_N##) go to zero at ##x=\infty## and at ##x=-\infty##, and the positive energy states (##\psi_{N+1}## onwards) become the continuum spectrum"?

Now I guess he mean "As we separate the walls, the wave functions for n>N (##\psi_{N+1}## onwards) become the everywhere-zero function" since all these wave functions have a finite number of zeros but the potential can only support an ##N## number of bound states (which have a finite number of zeros) and the other admissible wave functions are positive-energy states and thus have infinite number of zeros.

So I guess he should have said "all of these wave functions for n>N ..." instead of "some of the wave functions ..." .

1. How do you prove that the nth energy eigenfunction has n-1 zeros?

To prove this, we can use the Sturm-Liouville theorem, which states that the number of zeros of an eigenfunction is equal to its corresponding eigenvalue. Therefore, for the nth energy eigenfunction, which has an eigenvalue of n, it will have n-1 zeros.

2. Can the nth energy eigenfunction have more than n-1 zeros?

No, the nth energy eigenfunction can only have n-1 zeros, as this is a direct consequence of the Sturm-Liouville theorem. This is because the eigenvalue for the nth energy state is n, so the number of zeros must also be n.

3. Is the number of zeros of an energy eigenfunction always equal to its energy state?

Yes, this is a fundamental property of energy eigenfunctions. The number of zeros is always equal to the corresponding energy state, as stated by the Sturm-Liouville theorem.

4. What is the significance of the number of zeros in an energy eigenfunction?

The number of zeros in an energy eigenfunction represents the number of nodes or points where the wavefunction changes sign. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Sturm-Liouville theorem for energy eigenfunctions?

No, the Sturm-Liouville theorem has been proven to hold true for all energy eigenfunctions. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and calculations.