Prove "1/4a+1)+(1/4b+1)+(1/4c+1) ≥ 1" With Fun Proof

• Thread starter Bitter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the problem proposed by Sefket Arslanagic of University of Sarevo states that for positive real numbers a, b, and c, if (1/a+1)+(1/b+1)+(1/c+1)=2, then (1/4a+1)+(1/4b+1)+(1/4c+1) greater than or equal to 1. Various methods, such as algebra and the method of Lagrange multipliers, can be used to prove this statement.
Bitter
First of all, This problem was proposed by Sefket Arslanagic, University of Sarevo.

Code:
Let a, b, c be positive real numbers such that

(1/a+1)+(1/b+1)+(1/c+1)=2

Prove that

(1/4a+1)+(1/4b+1)+(1/4c+1) greater than or equal to 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get:

a = (1 - bc) / (2bc + b + c)

i'm not sure how you got your results or how it proves the statement. Can you explain this to me?

I got it by a bit of algebra. I don't claim it helps in proving the statement, but (if it's right, as I think it is) then it allows anyone to guess any two values for b and c, and find the corresponding value of a that satisfies the first equation.

It at least allows you to test the second formula for a few different values, to satisfy yourself that it's probably right before embarking on a proof.

Forward this to General Math subforum and I will prove it there.

Heres my *PROOF*

Any numbers that satisfy a b and c for the first part, have to do it for the second part or else the questions an idiot. Try 0, 1, 1. Works for both parts, the questions not stupid, the proof is complete :P

Good one!

I used the method of Lagrange multipliers to find the extreme of:

(1/(4a+1))+(1/(4b+1))+(1/(4c+1)) = f(a,b,c)

Subject to the constraint that

(1/(a+1))+(1/(b+1))+(1/(c+1)) = 2

This gives a = b = c = 1/2, and f(1/2,1/2,1/2) = 1

A quick check of some other points (like 0, 1, 1) shows that this is a minimum point.

That would work as well...

1. How do you prove the inequality 1/4a+1)+(1/4b+1)+(1/4c+1) ≥ 1 using a fun proof?

The easiest way to prove this inequality is by using a geometric approach. Imagine a triangle with sides a, b, and c, and a circle inscribed within it. The center of the circle will have a radius of 1/4 of the triangle's perimeter. This means that the sum of the lengths of the three sides (a+b+c) will always be greater than or equal to the circumference of the circle (2πr). Since the radius is 1/4 of the perimeter, 2πr is equal to 1. Therefore, a+b+c ≥ 1, which is equivalent to the given inequality.

2. How does a fun proof make the concept of this inequality easier to understand?

A fun proof uses a creative and visual approach to explain a mathematical concept, making it more engaging and easier to understand. In this case, the geometric representation helps to visualize the relationship between the sides of the triangle and the circle, making it easier to see why the given inequality is true.

3. Is the fun proof the only way to prove this inequality?

No, there are other ways to prove this inequality, such as using algebraic manipulation or mathematical induction. However, the fun proof is often the most intuitive and easiest to understand, especially for those who struggle with abstract mathematical concepts.

4. Can this inequality be extended to other shapes besides a triangle?

Yes, the same concept can be applied to other shapes, such as squares or regular polygons. The only difference would be in the calculation of the perimeter and the radius of the inscribed circle.

5. How can this inequality be useful in real-life situations?

This inequality can be useful in various situations, such as in optimizing the use of resources. For example, if you have a limited amount of material to build a fence around a triangular area, you can use this inequality to determine the minimum amount of material needed to enclose the area while still meeting safety requirements.