Prove using the formal definition of a limit

In summary: This means that for any small positive value of epsilon, there exists a positive value of delta such that if the difference between x and 4 is less than delta, then the difference between x2 and 16 is less than epsilon. In this case, since there is no coefficient of x to factor out, delta can be set equal to epsilon. However, you still need to show your work and explain how you arrived at this solution.
LOLItsAJ

Homework Statement

Prove using the formal definition of a limit that Lim x→4 x2 = 16

Homework Equations

|f(x)-L| and |x-c|
Using epsilon/delta definition.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got that |x2-16| = |x-4||x+4|
I'm also pretty sure only |x-4| matters, since it is the same as |x-c|.
What would delta be? Since there's no coefficient of x to factor out, would delta = epsilon?

Another note: I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've based all my work off of prior examples, I don't understand how to "prove" the limit using the above information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LOLItsAJ! :smile:

If eg I specify .001, you have to find a range in which x2 lies between 15.999 and 16.001 :wink:

LOLItsAJ said:

Homework Statement

Prove using the formal definition of a limit that Lim x→4 x2 = 16

Homework Equations

|f(x)-L| and |x-c|
Using epsilon/delta definition.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got that |x2-16| = |x-4||x+4|
I'm also pretty sure only |x-4| matters, since it is the same as |x-c|.
What would delta be? Since there's no coefficient of x to factor out, would delta = epsilon?

Another note: I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've based all my work off of prior examples, I don't understand how to "prove" the limit using the above information.
You might start by using the formal definition of limit for the case you're working on:
Lim x→4 x2 = 16​

1. What is the formal definition of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit is a mathematical statement that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It states that the limit of a function at a specific point is the value that the function gets closer and closer to, as the input gets closer and closer to that point.

2. How do you prove a limit using the formal definition?

To prove a limit using the formal definition, you must show that for any given small number (epsilon), there exists another number (delta) such that when the input is within delta distance from the point in question, the output of the function is within epsilon distance from the limit.

3. Why is the formal definition of a limit important?

The formal definition of a limit is important because it provides a precise and rigorous way of defining and understanding the behavior of functions. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in mathematics and other fields that involve continuous functions.

4. What are the key components of the formal definition of a limit?

The key components of the formal definition of a limit are the limit itself, the point at which the limit is being evaluated, a small number (epsilon), and another number (delta) that determines the distance of the input from the point in question. These components work together to describe the behavior of the function at a certain point.

5. Can the formal definition of a limit be used for all functions?

Yes, the formal definition of a limit can be used for all functions, as long as the function is continuous at the point in question. This means that the function has no jumps or breaks at that point, and the limit can be approached from both sides of the input value.