Proving 3^n >= 2n+1 by Induction

In summary, the user is trying to prove that 3^n is always greater than or equal to 2n+1 for all natural numbers. They use an assumption and then try to substitute it into the equation, but this is not a valid proof. They are advised to use the fact that 3^(k+1) = 3*3^k and their assumption to solve the proof.
It_Angel

Homework Statement

Prove that 3^n >= 2n+1 for all natural numbers.

Homework Equations

3^n >= 2n+1 [is bigger or equal to]

The Attempt at a Solution

3*1>=2+1
True for n=1

Assumption: 3^k>=2k+1

3^(k+1)>=2k+3
3^k*3>=2k+3
(2k+1)*3>=2k+3 <---can I just substitute 2k+1 into 3^k as per my assumption, because 3^k is bigger, and (2k+1)*3 is bigger than 2k+3? If so, is the proof complete?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It_Angel said:

Homework Statement

Prove that 3^n >= 2n+1 for all natural numbers.

Homework Equations

3^n >= 2n+1 [is bigger or equal to]

The Attempt at a Solution

3*1>=2+1
True for n=1

Assumption: 3^k>=2k+1

3^(k+1)>=2k+3
No, you can't just assert this -- you have to show it.

Use the fact that 3^(k + 1) = 3 * 3k, and use your assumption that 3^i >= 2k + 1.
It_Angel said:
3^k*3>=2k+3
(2k+1)*3>=2k+3 <---can I just substitute 2k+1 into 3^k as per my assumption, because 3^k is bigger, and (2k+1)*3 is bigger than 2k+3? If so, is the proof complete?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, still at a loss.

I already provided a strategy for you.
Mark44 said:
Use the fact that 3^(k + 1) = 3 * 3k, and use your assumption that 3^i >= 2k + 1.

Did you not understand?

Related to Proving 3^n >= 2n+1 by Induction

What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves three steps: the base case, the inductive hypothesis, and the inductive step.

How does proof by induction work?

The base case is used to prove that the statement is true for the first natural number. The inductive hypothesis assumes that the statement is true for a certain natural number, and the inductive step uses this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number. By repeating this process, the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

What types of statements can be proven by induction?

Proof by induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and divisibility. It can also be used to prove statements about sets, functions, and graphs.

What are the limitations of proof by induction?

Proof by induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used for real numbers, irrational numbers, or complex numbers. Additionally, the inductive step must be carefully constructed and may not always be straightforward.

Can proof by induction be used to prove every mathematical statement?

No, proof by induction is not a universal method and may not be applicable to all mathematical statements. Some statements may require other methods of proof, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction.