Proving a Function Is Riemann Integrable

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a specific step involving a summation and inequalities. The problem can be found on page 3 of the provided link and the step involves using the inequalities ##x_i \le 1## and ##(x_{i+1}-x_i) \lt \delta## for all ##i##.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Here is a link to the problem which I am currently working on:

http://math.umn.edu/~jara0025/Math4603/Math4603H9Answers.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The specific problem I am working on is found on page 3, and is the first problem on that page. The step I am having trouble with is

$$= \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)(x^2_{i+1} + x_{i+1}x_i + x_i^2) (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

$$ < \delta 3 \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

What is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Here is a link to the problem which I am currently working on:

http://math.umn.edu/~jara0025/Math4603/Math4603H9Answers.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The specific problem I am working on is found on page 3, and is the first problem on that page. The step I am having trouble with is

$$= \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)(x^2_{i+1} + x_{i+1}x_i + x_i^2) (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

$$ < \delta 3 \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

What is going on?

The point is that ##x_i \le 1## and ##(x_{i+1}-x_i) \lt \delta## for all ##i##. Try using those inequalities.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Riemann integration?

Riemann integration is a method of calculating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and approximating the area using the sum of those rectangles. It is named after mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

What does it mean for a function to be Riemann integrable?

A function is considered Riemann integrable if it meets a specific set of criteria that allow for the use of the Riemann integration method. These criteria include being bounded, having a finite number of discontinuities, and having a finite number of local extrema.

How can I prove that a function is Riemann integrable?

To prove that a function is Riemann integrable, you must show that it meets the criteria for Riemann integration. This may involve showing that the function is bounded, has a finite number of discontinuities, and has a finite number of local extrema. You may also need to use the definition of the Riemann integral and show that the limit of the Riemann sums approaches a finite value.

Can any function be proven to be Riemann integrable?

No, not all functions are Riemann integrable. Some functions may not meet the necessary criteria, such as being unbounded or having an infinite number of discontinuities. However, many commonly used functions, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions, are Riemann integrable.

What are the practical applications of proving a function is Riemann integrable?

Proving that a function is Riemann integrable allows for the calculation of definite integrals, which have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. These include calculating areas, volumes, and other physical quantities, as well as solving differential equations and optimization problems.