Proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S

• Thread starter johndoe3344
  • Start date
In summary, to change a matrix into its rref form, you perform a sequence of elementary row operations on it. This means that there will be a matrix S such that A = SB, where S is the product of the elementary matrices used in the row operations. This is because every elementary row operation is the result of left-multiplying by an elementary matrix, and applying a series of row operations is equivalent to multiplying by a single matrix, the product of the elementary matrices.
johndoe3344
Let's say we're given that A = rref(B)

I know this means that there is some matrix (let's call it S) such that A = SB.

How do I prove this?

I know that to change a matrix into its rref form, you perform a sequence of elementary row operations on it - why does this necessarily mean there will be a matrix S such that A = SB?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know every elementary row operation is the result of left-multiplying by an elementary matrix, right?

What do you mean?

If I had the matrix:

[ 1 0 0]
[ 0 1 1]
[ 0 0 1]

To change that into rref, I would just subtract Row III from Row II.

I don't think you intended it but the matrix you give is an "elementary" matrix- it can be derived from the identity matrix by a single row operation- here adding row III to row II (so that your "subtract Row III from Row II" changes it back to the identity matrix and so row reduces it). Hurkyl's point is that apply a rwo operation to a matrix is exactly the same as multiplying that matrix by the corresponding row operation: If A is any 3 by 3 matrix, multiplying A by the matrix you gave will "add row III to row II".

Since applying a row operation is the same as multiplying by an elementary matrix, applying a series of row operations (to row reduce a matrix) is the same as multiplying the matrix by the corresponding elementary matrices which is the same as multiplying the matrix by a single matrix, the product of those elementary matrices.

Related to Proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S

What is the purpose of proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S?

The purpose of proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S is to determine if two matrices, A and B, are equivalent. This can help in solving systems of equations, finding inverses, and performing other matrix operations.

What is rref and how is it related to matrix operations?

rref stands for reduced row echelon form and is a way of organizing a matrix to make it easier to perform operations such as solving systems of equations. It is related to matrix operations because it simplifies the matrix and makes it easier to determine if two matrices are equivalent.

What is the process for proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S?

The process for proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S involves performing elementary row operations on both matrices until they are both in rref. Then, if the two matrices are equivalent, they will have the same rref and A = rref(B).

What are some tips for effectively proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S?

Some tips for effectively proving A = rref(B) with a Matrix S include keeping track of the elementary row operations performed on each matrix, using proper notation, and double checking all calculations. It is also helpful to break the process into smaller steps and to practice with simpler matrices before tackling more complex ones.

What are the applications of knowing that A = rref(B) with a Matrix S?

Knowing that A = rref(B) with a Matrix S has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to solve systems of equations, find inverses, and perform other matrix operations. It can also be useful in data analysis, optimization problems, and computer graphics.