Proving Limit Using Epsilon Criteria: n^2+1/n+3 → +∞ as n → ∞

• Thread starter squareroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The only thing i proved here is that the limit is > 1, and that is obviously not what i wanted. I thought i could say \frac{n2}{n}=n \Rightarrow limn→∞ n=+∞, which would mean that the limit is +∞. But this is not a valid reasoning, i think, so... what should i do?You're on the right track, but you need to be careful with your steps, as you can end up with false statements if you're not careful. For instance, you said:\frac{n^3 + 2n}{n^2 + 3n - 1} < \frac{n^3 + 2n}{
squareroot

Homework Statement

Prove the limit by using the ε criteria
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{n→∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{n^2+1}{n+3}[/itex] = +∞

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys.So I'm having trouble proving this limits(all limits that i need to prove that they equal +/- ∞) , all that I've learned in calculus so far at school is these e proprieties

limit when x→∞ from xn=L ⇔ [itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0 [itex]\exists[/itex]nε so that for [itex]\forall[/itex] n≥nε we have |xn-L|<ε

the second one is when limit whenx→∞ from xn= +∞ it's the same except the last part where you don't have |xn-L|<ε but we have xn≥ε

fot the third one limit when x→∞ from xn= -∞ when xn≤-ε

TY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
squareroot said:

Homework Statement

Prove the limit by using the ε criteria
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{n→∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{n^2+1}{n+3}[/itex] = +∞

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys.So I'm having trouble proving this limits(all limits that i need to prove that they equal +/- ∞) , all that I've learned in calculus so far at school is these e proprieties

limit when x→∞ from xn=L ⇔ [itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0 [itex]\exists[/itex]nε so that for [itex]\forall[/itex] n≥nε we have |xn-L|<ε

the second one is when limit whenx→∞ from xn= +∞ it's the same except the last part where you don't have |xn-L|<ε but we have xn≥ε

fot the third one limit when x→∞ from xn= -∞ when xn≤-ε

TY!
You're not using the correct form for this type of limit. This is the one you want.
$$ \forall M, \exists N \text{ such that } n \ge N \Rightarrow f(n) > M$$

The idea here is that M and N are large numbers. You don't use ##\epsilon## in this type of limit proof.

well what you said is the same with what i said "the second one is when limit whenx→∞ from xn= +∞ it's the same except the last part where you don't have |xn-L|<ε but we have xn≥ε
"

squareroot said:
well what you said is the same with what i said "the second one is when limit whenx→∞ from xn= +∞ it's the same except the last part where you don't have |xn-L|<ε but we have xn≥ε
"
Which means that it isn't the same. Also, ##\epsilon## is generally considered to be a small number (close to 0).

Well yes but i tried solving it like that and i get lost in all that math , i have a polynominal equation in n...can't you show me?

The way PF works is that we help you, but we don't do your work for you. The polynomial is a quadratic, and you should already know how to solve quadratic equations and inequalities. Show us where you got stuck.

Ok here we go , so starting backwards from the theorem we have (n2+1)/(n+3)≥ε after solving this and by arranging it you have

n2-nε+(1-3ε)≥0

from here

Δ=ε2-4(1-3ε)=ε2+12ε-4

so it from here where i m not certain what to do i tried to put the condition that Δ≥0 but by solving that i get really ugly results.I don't know what to do from here!

You want :

[itex]\forall M > 0, \exists N > 0 \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow a_n > M[/itex]

So start by massaging what you want into a suitable form :

[itex]\frac{n^2 + 1}{n + 3} > M[/itex]

You should not use ε for this type of limit, as it is almost universally used to represent numbers that are close to 0.

From the inequality $$\frac{n^2+1}{n + 3} > M$$
you get
##n^2 - Mn + 1 - 3M > 0##
The values of n that make the expression above equal to 0 are
$$n = \frac{M \pm \sqrt{M^2 + 12M - 4}}{2}$$

It is not necessary to get an exact value for n. All that is needed is to find a value that is large enough. ##\sqrt{M^2 + 12M - 4}## ≈ M, but the square root expression is always a little larger. I think we can say that the radical is smaller than 2M as long as M is not too small. For example, if M = 10 (which isn't very large), ##\sqrt{M^2 + 12M - 4}=\sqrt{216}≈11 < 20 = 2M##. For any larger value of M the radical will be smaller than 2M.

Can you carry on from here?

Not really , the thing is i don't really have a solid understanding about what am I after to prove here.So we've proved that that radical will be smaller than 2M when M is a large number, but hor does that help me with my initial inequation ?I'm sorry i know I'm pretty much asking to solveit step by step to me , but it 's my first kind of this exercise from my first calculus homework ever , and i really want to have a solid foundation on calculus.

squareroot said:
Not really , the thing is i don't really have a solid understanding about what am I after to prove here.So we've proved that that radical will be smaller than 2M when M is a large number, but hor does that help me with my initial inequation ?I'm sorry i know I'm pretty much asking to solveit step by step to me , but it 's my first kind of this exercise from my first calculus homework ever , and i really want to have a solid foundation on calculus.

You can make life a lot easier by simplifying the problem first. [itex]\frac{n^2 + 1}{n + 3} > \frac{n^2}{n + 3} > \frac{n^2}{n + n}[/itex] (for n>3). Simplifying the last expression and showing its limit is infinity shows the first one has that limit as well.

Oh!I get it now! And it's obvious that n2/2n's limit is +∞ so from that i can conclude that the limit of my equation is also +∞.This is very very useful , and i can use it to solve all my exercises of this type.Thanks a lot! But is it a valid method? Seems more of an observation than a demonstration to me :smile:

For example here is how i could solve another exercise which looks similar

Prove that limn→∞[itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex]=+∞

So [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n}[/itex]
But [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n(n2)+2}{n(n+3)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n2+2}{n+3}[/itex], now here 2 and 3 are pretty irrelevant when n→∞ so we could say [itex]\frac{n2}{n}[/itex]=n
limn→∞ n=+∞, that is obvious so from this i proved that limn→∞[itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex]=+∞

What do you say?Is it ok?

P.S idk why the eq editor didn't work!

squareroot said:
Oh!I get it now! And it's obvious that n2/2n's limit is +∞ so from that i can conclude that the limit of my equation is also +∞.This is very very useful , and i can use it to solve all my exercises of this type.Thanks a lot! But is it a valid method? Seems more of an observation than a demonstration to me :smile:

You can make it into a real proof. If n^2/(2n)>M then (n^2+1)/(n+3)>M. You can use the same bound for the simpler expession for the more complicated.

squareroot said:
For example here is how i could solve another exercise which looks similar

Prove that limn→∞[itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex]=+∞

So [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n}[/itex]
But [itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n(n2)+2}{n(n+3)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n2+2}{n+3}[/itex], now here 2 and 3 are pretty irrelevant when n→∞ so we could say [itex]\frac{n2}{n}[/itex]=n
limn→∞ n=+∞, that is obvious so from this i proved that limn→∞[itex]\frac{n3+2n}{n2+3n-1}[/itex]=+∞

What do you say?Is it ok?

P.S idk why the eq editor didn't work!

Do not use [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] and [itеx][/itеx] together, if you want to write supscripts, then please write

Code:
[NOPARSE][itex]n^3+2n[/itex][/NOPARSE]

Also, limits can be written nicely as

Code:
[NOPARSE]
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} n^2[/itex]
[/NOPARSE]

Here is a LaTeX guide:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function is approaching, but may not necessarily reach, at that specific input.

What is a simple limit?

A simple limit is a limit in which the function and its input approach a specific value without any complicated or advanced mathematical operations involved. This is usually a basic concept taught in introductory calculus courses.

How do you prove a simple limit?

To prove a simple limit using the epsilon-delta definition, you must show that for any small positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive value of delta such that the distance between the input and the limit is less than epsilon when the input is within delta units of the limit. This can also be proven using algebraic and trigonometric identities and properties.

What are some common techniques used to prove simple limits?

Some common techniques used to prove simple limits include the use of algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and the squeeze theorem. These techniques involve simplifying the function and manipulating it to resemble a known limit or using a known limit to bound the function.

Why is proving a simple limit important?

Proving a simple limit is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior of a function and its relationship with its input. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques, such as derivatives and integrals.