Proving Addition/Subtraction Formulas - Tan(x-y)+Tan(y-z)+Tan(z-x)

In summary: So, $A+B+C=n\pi$ is satisfied where n= 0. So the formula: tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x) holds in this case.
Elissa89
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elissa89 said:
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!

this follows from $A+B+C=n\pi=>\tan\, A+ \tan \, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B \tan\, C$

if you want a proof of the above

$A+B+C=n\pi => A+B=n\pi-C$
take tan on both sides getting

$\frac{\tan\, A + \tan\, B}{1-\tan\, A \tan \, B} = -\tan\, C$
Or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B = - \tan\, C + \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$
or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$

as (x-y) + (y-z) + (z-x) = 0 we get the result

"this follows from
[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]A[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]B[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]C[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]n[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]π[/FONT]"

I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$

DavidCampen said:
I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$

Nobody claims that $A+B+C=n\pi$ in general. On the contrary, we assume it. Kaliprasad meant that your equation follows from the fact that if $A+B+C=n\pi$, then $\tan A+ \tan B + \tan C = \tan A \tan B \tan C$.

In your original post you were asking about tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x). If A= x- y, B= y- z, and C= z- x, then A+ B+ C= x- y+ y- z+ z- x= 0 which is 0 times [tex]\pi[/tex].

1. What are addition/subtraction formulas in trigonometry?

Addition/subtraction formulas in trigonometry are equations that show the relationship between the trigonometric functions of two angles when they are added or subtracted. These formulas are used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve various trigonometric problems.

2. How do you prove addition/subtraction formulas for tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)?

The addition/subtraction formula for tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x) can be proved by using the identities for tangent of the sum and difference of two angles. By substituting these identities into the original expression and simplifying, the result will be equal to the original expression, proving the formula.

3. What are the applications of addition/subtraction formulas in real life?

Addition/subtraction formulas are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields that involve trigonometry. They can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two objects.

4. Are there any other addition/subtraction formulas for trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are addition/subtraction formulas for other trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine. These formulas can also be proved using the identities for the sum and difference of two angles.

5. Can addition/subtraction formulas be used for any angle measure?

Yes, addition/subtraction formulas can be used for any angle measure, as long as the angles involved are in the same quadrant. If the angles are in different quadrants, the formulas may need to be adjusted using the identities for the reference angle.