Proving Addition/Subtraction Formulas - Tan(x-y)+Tan(y-z)+Tan(z-x)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Elissa89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Addition Formulas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Elissa89
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elissa89 said:
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!

this follows from $A+B+C=n\pi=>\tan\, A+ \tan \, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B \tan\, C$

if you want a proof of the above

$A+B+C=n\pi => A+B=n\pi-C$
take tan on both sides getting

$\frac{\tan\, A + \tan\, B}{1-\tan\, A \tan \, B} = -\tan\, C$
Or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B = - \tan\, C + \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$
or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$

as (x-y) + (y-z) + (z-x) = 0 we get the result
 
"this follows from
[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]A[FONT=MathJax_Main]+[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]B[FONT=MathJax_Main]+[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]C[FONT=MathJax_Main]=[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]n[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]π"

I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$
 
DavidCampen said:
I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$

Nobody claims that $A+B+C=n\pi$ in general. On the contrary, we assume it. Kaliprasad meant that your equation follows from the fact that if $A+B+C=n\pi$, then $\tan A+ \tan B + \tan C = \tan A \tan B \tan C$.
 
In your original post you were asking about tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x). If A= x- y, B= y- z, and C= z- x, then A+ B+ C= x- y+ y- z+ z- x= 0 which is 0 times [tex]\pi[/tex].