Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Proving ageing effects on brain through synthesia trends: A High-School Science Fair

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

I am doing a high-school grade science fair on the effects of aging on synesthesia. Well, at least that's what it tests, but in reality, it's the other way around, almost. Synesthesia, while, indeed, being a genetic condition, is a condition of the brain. Therefore, if the brain is in bad shape, it will show on the synesthesetic experience of the aging individual. Effectively, if the overall trends for synesthesia decrease as the age group increases, the brain does, indeed degenerate as it gets older. And that is what I want to prove.

I am testing for the second most-common condition, grapheme synesthesia. It's when the brain interperates black&white symbols as being colored.

I have the feeling that there are things wrong with this experiment, but I'm far too into it to change it at this stage. I do, however really, really need some participants to take the test. It's really quick and simple. Please click on the link I will provide to you below, read the accompanying instructions, and, perhaps, take the 15-second test. I'd be most grateful.

Grapheme Synthesia Test
    "The purpose of my project is to prove that the brain degrades with age. I will do that by measuring the trends towards synthesia present in different age groups."​

Brief Abstract​
    Thank you, I really appreciate this! :)
    Burunduk

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't looked at your test yet, but do you only want people who believe they are synaesthetes to participate, or do you need "normal" controls too?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?