1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an inequality

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show what you have tried, and where you got stuck.

That way it will be easier for use to give the appropriate help.

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    Don't forget about the reverse triangle inequality: |x - y| >= ||x| - |y||

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    It will be easier to break this into two problems. First prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2}[/itex] , then prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{2}[/itex].

Also, use [itex] \left| sin z \right| = \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} [/itex] .

7. Aug 16, 2011 #6
    That's what i did. can you please look at my answer? isn't it correct?
    thank you.

8. Aug 16, 2011 #7
    Sorry, I see that you did write [itex] \left| sin z \right| = \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} [/itex]. However, I don't understand how you came up with your answer: where did the absolute value signs in [itex] \left| \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} \right| [/itex] emerge from? You can't just insert them. And how did you re-arrange the inequality? Was there a typo in your original statement of the problem? In any case, your answer doesn't prove the inequality, because I cannot see its validity just by looking at it. With these types of problems, you really need to break it down to something like [itex] -e^{-y} \leq e^{-y} \; \Rightarrow \; -1 \leq 1 [/itex], which we can all agree is true. Also, in proofs you *need* to show your steps, and you always should here anyways so we can help you out.

Alright, let's try doing this one part at a time. First, prove that:

[itex] \left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} [/itex], or

[itex] \left| \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} [/itex]. Cancel the 2's, multiply by i/i and rearrange exponentials on the left,

[itex] \left| -i e^{ix} e^{-y} + i e^{-ix} e^y \right| \leq e^{y} + e^{-y} [/itex] ....Now try applying the triangle inequality to this. After proving this, a similar approach is used for [itex] \left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{2} [/itex]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook