Proving e^x is equals its own derivative?

In summary, someone is trying to find a proof for a function by first principles. They need help with something specific- a definition of ex- and they ask for help from a classmate. They are given a few different definitions of ex and asked to choose one. The classmate then provides a summary of the function that is similar to the one the person is looking for.
Cookies?
Hi, I need this for part of a math project I'm working on. So as most of us know, e^x, when differentiated, is equal to e^x, hence it is its own derivative.

Now, I could prove this quite easily with the Chain Rule, but my teacher said that this is predicated on too many assumptions (not sure what he meant in particular, but i get it), thus I need to prove it by first principles. Could anyone help me prove this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cookies?! :smile:

How are you defining ex ? :wink:

Cookies? said:
Hi, I need this for part of a math project I'm working on. So as most of us know, e^x, when differentiated, is equal to e^x, hence it is its own derivative.

Now, I could prove this quite easily with the Chain Rule, but my teacher said that this is predicated on too many assumptions (not sure what he meant in particular, but i get it), thus I need to prove it by first principles. Could anyone help me prove this? Thanks

You could do it by using the series for ex. In any case you need to start from a definition.

Try using the limit definition of e or ex, of the form limn→∞(?)

mathman said:
You could do it by using the series for ex. In any case you need to start from a definition.
If you are referring to the Taylor Series, don't you need to know the derivative before you can use that series?

Redbelly98 said:
If you are referring to the Taylor Series, don't you need to know the derivative before you can use that series?
Not necessarily. The powers series is one way of many ways to define the exponential function.

That's why this question of how the function is defined is central. One of the definitions makes this question absolutely trivial. It's not quite as trivial with other definitions.

Some people define [itex]e^x[/itex] by its power series. Some define it as a continuous function with [itex]e^0=1[/itex] and [itex]e^{s+t}=e^se^t[/itex]. When I was in undergrad, we defined [itex]\log(y)[/itex] as [itex]\int_1^y\dfrac{1}{t}\text{d}t[/itex] and [itex]e^x[/itex] as [itex]\log^{-1}(x)[/itex]. Some even define it as a differentiable function with [itex]e^0=1[/itex] which is equal to its own derivative.

What constitutes a valid proof depends on which you consider "the" definition.

economicsnerd said:
Some define it as a continuous function with [itex]e^0=1[/itex] and [itex]e^{s+t}=e^se^t[/itex].
That function isn't unique. You also have to give another value of the function, so you can't get out of saying what "e" is.

Mathmans suggestion is probably best. Who doesn't love binomial theorem with a little bit of calculus?!

[tex]e^x=Lim_{n→∞}{\left( 1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n}[/tex]

eigenperson said:
That function isn't unique. You also have to give another value of the function, so you can't get out of saying what "e" is.

Whoops! Nice catch. Same goes for the derivative-based definition.

economicsnerd said:
Whoops! Nice catch. Same goes for the derivative-based definition.
The derivative-based definition is that exp(x) is the function whose derivative is equal to itself and such that exp(0)=1. There is only one such function. That certainly isn't the definition being used as the problem is far too trivial with this definition.

[I should shut up. Sorry for the serial errors.]

if you assume you have a continuous function f satisfying f(x+y) = f(x).f(y) for all x,y, and f(1) = a>0, then it does equal a^x, and has derivative k.a^x, for some constant k, but just showing it is differentiable is not at all easy, in my opinion.

proving functions given by convergent power series are differentiable is not trivial either. the easiest way of dealing with exponentials, is the usual one of using the fundamental theorem of calculus to prove the function defined by the integral of 1/x is differentiable, and then proving it is also invertible, and using the chain rule (and inverse function theorem) to get the derivative of the inverse to equal itself, and then proving also that the inverse satisfies the properties listed earlier that characterize an exponential function.

Maybe the series approach would be cleaner after all. but you have to deal with uniform convergence which is usually considered more advanced than inverse functions and the FTC. It would be worth learning about though.

maybe the differential equations approach is worth trying too. In that approach you look at the de y'=y, y(0) = 1, and you prove that such a function must also satisfy y(a+b) = y(a).y(b). Then you deduce that it is an exponential function of form a^x for some a, and you just define e to be that value of a. Of course in this approach you have to prove the d.e. has a solution.

there is a nice proof of existence of solutions of first order d.e.'s using sequences of approximations, which should generate something like the series expansion of e^x.

so this approach works backwards: first you prove there is some function which equals its own derivative, and then afterwards you prove that function is an exponential function. then the method of proof may give
you a series expansion and you can compute the base e via that expansion.

i think that proof method picard's method. here is a link that may help you.

http://www.math.msu.edu/~seal/teaching/f09/picard_iteration.pdf

Last edited:
this seems to assume that d/dx(ln(x)) = 1/x and then uses the chain rule to conclude the required fact (i got bored and did not watch it all). this is the easy part of one of the approaches given above in much more detail.

1. What is e^x?

e^x is a mathematical function known as the exponential function. It is often used to model exponential growth or decay in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics.

2. What does it mean for e^x to be its own derivative?

This means that the rate of change of e^x is equal to the function itself. In other words, the slope of the tangent line at any point on the graph of e^x is equal to the value of e^x at that point.

3. Why is it important to prove that e^x is equal to its own derivative?

Proving this property of e^x is important because it allows us to solve differential equations involving exponential functions more easily. It also provides a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of exponential functions.

4. What is the proof for e^x being equal to its own derivative?

The proof involves using the definition of the derivative and the properties of the exponential function. It can be shown that the derivative of e^x is equal to the limit as h approaches 0 of (e^(x+h) - e^x)/h, which simplifies to e^x. Thus, e^x is equal to its own derivative.

5. Are there any other functions that are equal to their own derivative?

Yes, there are other functions with this property, such as a^x, where a is any positive constant. These are known as exponential functions and have many applications in various fields of science and mathematics.