Proving from first principles that a(n)^2 -> 4 if a(n) -> 2.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving from first principles that a sequence squared tends to 4 if the original sequence tends to 2. The conversation suggests using upper bounds and choosing a suitable delta to prove this statement.
Tommy941

Homework Statement

Let an → 2. Prove from first principles (i.e. give a direct ε-N proof) that an2 → 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried considering |an-2|2 and considering that |an2-4| = |(an+2)(an-2)| but I could not get either of these methods to work. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?
I was thinking maybe one of the sequences is a subsequence of the other?

I was also wondering, is this true generally that if a sequence tends to L then the sequence squared will tend to L2?

Thanks,
Tommy

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that, for [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that is n> N, [itex]|a_n-2|< \epsilon[/itex] (since [itex]a_n[/itex] goes to 2).

Now, you want [itex]|a_n^2- 4|= |a_n+ 2||a_n- 2|< \epsilon[/itex]. If you can find an upper bound, A, on |a_n+ 2| then you can say that [itex]|a_n+ 2||a_n- 2|< A|a_n- 2|[/itex] so that if [itex]A|a_n- 2|< \epsilon[/itex], which is the same as [itex]|x_n- 2|< \epsilon/A[/itex], then [itex]|a_n+ 2||a_n- 2|< A|a_n- 2|< \epsilon[/itex].

Now, if [itex]a_n[/itex] is close to 2, say, [itex]|a_n- 2|< 1[/itex], what can you say about [itex]|a_n+ 2|[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Start with something like :
There exists a delta such that if |an-2|<delta, then (an-2)^2 < epsilon.
Then notice that (an+2) = (an-2)+4.
I think those are the main techniques in this proof.

Thanks HallsofIvyy I think I will be able to do it now. Is it O.K for me to say that for suitably large n, |an-2|<ε<1 ⇒ |an+2|<3 so 3 can be considered an upper bound on an when n is suitably large??

Yes, that will work.

1. What does it mean to prove from first principles?

Proving from first principles means using fundamental axioms, definitions, and logical reasoning to derive a conclusion, rather than relying on previously proven theorems or assumptions.

2. How can we prove that a sequence squared approaches 4 if the sequence itself approaches 2?

To prove this, we can start by stating the definition of a limit. Then, we can use algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to show that the limit of the sequence squared equals 4 if the limit of the sequence itself equals 2.

3. Why is it important to prove from first principles?

Proving from first principles allows us to establish a solid foundation for our conclusions and ensures that they are logically sound. It also allows us to understand the underlying principles and concepts rather than just memorizing formulas or theorems.

4. Can we use other methods besides first principles to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other methods such as using previously proven theorems or using specific properties of limits. However, proving from first principles is considered the most rigorous and fundamental approach.

5. How does this proof apply to real-world situations?

This proof may have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the concept of a limit is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena. It also showcases the importance of using logical reasoning and fundamental principles in problem-solving.