kingwinner said:
I know that √2 is irrational (and I've seen the proof).
The proof? There isn't just one!
Are you aware of the following result?
Theorem: The Rational Root Theorem (RRT)
Let [itex]a_nx^n+...+a_1x+a_0=0[/itex] be a polynomial equation with [itex]a_i\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] for all [itex]i[/itex], and with [itex]a_n,a_0\neq 0[/itex]. Then [itex]p/q[/itex] be a rational root for the equation with [itex]p[/itex] relatively prime to [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]q\neq 0[/itex].
Then:
(i) [itex]p[/itex] divides [itex]a_0[/itex], and
(ii) [itex]q[/itex] divides [itex]a_n[/itex].
Now consider the equation [itex]x^2-2=0[/itex], which clearly has [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] as a root. By RRT, the
only possible rational roots are -2,-1,1,2. But none of them works![/color]
Therefore, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is irrational.
Now, what is the fastest way to justify that 2√2, 2-√2, 17√(1/2)[/color] are irrational? (they definitely "seem" to be irrational numbers to me) Can all/any these follow immediately from the fact that √2 is irrational?
I don't know about the fastest way, but a viable way would be to construct polynomial equations as I have done above, and apply RRT. Here, I'll do another one for you.
Let [itex]x=2\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2=8[/itex], or [itex]x^2-8=0[/itex].
Clearly, this equation has [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex] as a root. By RRT, the only possible rational roots to that equation are -8,-4,-2,-1,1,2,4,8. But none of these works. Therefore, [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex] is irrational.
Comprede?