1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving irrationality

1. Mar 15, 2005 #1
    how do you prove that sqrt(2) + sqrt(5) is irrational...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

by contradiction, suppose r=sqrt(2)+sqrt(5) and r is rational. play around with that and see what you can show this implies.

4. Mar 15, 2005 #3
    i did get it down to 7+2root10 = m^2/n^2 where i assumed root 2 + root 5 = m/n...and before that i proved root 10 to be irrational...so i am kinda stuck on the 7+2root10 = m^2/n^2 bit...how does that mean anything...

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why not do rearrange the equation before squaring it so that after squaring you only have, say sqrt(2) to deal with, which i presume you know is irrational.

i don't see why you're showing 7+ something is not of the from m^2/n^2, to be honest, either, and you certainly don't need to write r=m/n either.

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5
    look at this

7. Mar 15, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's aiming way too high for this question, and besides, if you're going to go and use theorems like that then why not simply invoke the fact that sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) is an algebraic integer, and hence if it were rational it would be integral, which it clearly isn't.

r-sqrt(2) = sqrt(5)
    square and rearrange to get sqrt(2) rational, contradiction.

8. Mar 15, 2005 #7
    i had an argumetn like this

this is where i got up to...
    now i am thinking that if i put everything in terms of root 10 then:
    so we have irrational = "(m2/n2 - 7)/2"
    so that implies that (m2/n2 - 7) is irrational and also m2/n2 is irrational and they cannot be irrationals and integers at the same time and therefore its a contradiction...makes sence??? may b not...im just insane!!!

9. Mar 15, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming you already know √(2) is irrational, matt grime's suggestion, "rearrange the equation before squaring it " gives this:

Suppose r= √(2)+ √(5) is rational. Then r- √(2)= √(5).
    Squaring both sides, r2- 2√(2)r+ 2= 5 so 2√(2)= r2- 3. Then √(2)= (r2- 3)/2. Since the rational numbers are closed under multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, the right hand side is rational, giving the contradiction that √(2) is rational.

10. Mar 15, 2005 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Another way of doing it, which I think is slightly "nicer" than squaring is as follows :

Let [tex]\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{2} = x_1[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{5} - \sqrt{2} = x_2[/tex]

Assume [tex]x_1[/tex] is rational and can be expressed as [tex]\frac{p}{q}[/tex], where p and q are coprime integers.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(x_1 - x_2) = \sqrt{2}[/tex], which is irrational, hence [tex]x_2[/tex] has to be irrational (since [tex]x_1[/tex] is rational by assumption).

But [tex]x_1x_2 = 3[/tex], giving [tex]x_2 = \frac{3}{x_1} = \frac{3q}{p}[/tex]

This implies [tex]x_2[/tex] is rational, contradicting the above.

Hence [tex]x_1[/tex] is irrational (QED).

11. Mar 16, 2005 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is nice.

12. Mar 16, 2005 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Thank you. :smile:

BTW, there is a small error in your explanation of the squaring proof. It should go like so :

[tex]r^2 - 2\sqrt{2}r + 2 = 5[/tex]
    [tex]2\sqrt{2}r = r^2 - 3[/tex]
    [tex]\sqrt{2} = \frac{1}{2}(r - \frac{3}{r})[/tex]

And LHS is irrational, RHS is rational, contradiction. You forgot the 'r' when you typed it out. Just a minor point, doesn't change the substance of your proof at all. :biggrin:

13. Mar 18, 2005 #12
    thanks to all! it kinda makes sence!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?