Can sqrt(2) + sqrt(5) be proven irrational?

• Thread starter rsnd
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that √(2) + √(5) is irrational, we can use a proof by contradiction. Assuming that r = √(2) + √(5) is rational, we can play around with the equation to show that it leads to a contradiction. By rearranging the equation and squaring both sides, we can show that √(2) is rational, which contradicts our initial assumption that it is irrational. Another approach is to rewrite the equation as x1 = √(5) + √(2) and x2 = √(5) - √(2), and then show that if x1
rsnd
how do you prove that sqrt(2) + sqrt(5) is irrational...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
by contradiction, suppose r=sqrt(2)+sqrt(5) and r is rational. play around with that and see what you can show this implies.

matt grime said:
by contradiction, suppose r=sqrt(2)+sqrt(5) and r is rational. play around with that and see what you can show this implies.
i did get it down to 7+2root10 = m^2/n^2 where i assumed root 2 + root 5 = m/n...and before that i proved root 10 to be irrational...so i am kinda stuck on the 7+2root10 = m^2/n^2 bit...how does that mean anything...

why not do rearrange the equation before squaring it so that after squaring you only have, say sqrt(2) to deal with, which i presume you know is irrational.

i don't see why you're showing 7+ something is not of the from m^2/n^2, to be honest, either, and you certainly don't need to write r=m/n either.

look at this
for √2 + √3, let it equal a...
a^2 = 5 + 2√6
a^2 - 5 = 2√6
a^4 - 10a^2 + 25 = 24
a^4 - 10a^2 + 1 = 0

The minimum polynomial of a is x^4 - 10x^2 + 1. (I haven't proven it actually is the minimum, but it will still suffice for this method of proof)

Now, the only possible rational roots of this are 1 and -1, and neither of these is √2 + √3, so it's irrational

I think that's aiming way too high for this question, and besides, if you're going to go and use theorems like that then why not simply invoke the fact that sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) is an algebraic integer, and hence if it were rational it would be integral, which it clearly isn't.

r-sqrt(2) = sqrt(5)
square and rearrange to get sqrt(2) rational, contradiction.

i had an argumetn like this

let root 2 + root 5 = m/n...i.e. assume they are rational...and we have already proved that root 10 is irrational...
squaring both sides:
2+5+2.root2.root5 = m2/n2
or 7+2.root10=m2/n2
this is where i got up to...
now i am thinking that if i put everything in terms of root 10 then:
root 10 = (m2/n2 - 7)/2
so we have irrational = "(m2/n2 - 7)/2"
so that implies that (m2/n2 - 7) is irrational and also m2/n2 is irrational and they cannot be irrationals and integers at the same time and therefore its a contradiction...makes sence? may b not...im just insane!

Assuming you already know √(2) is irrational, matt grime's suggestion, "rearrange the equation before squaring it " gives this:

Suppose r= √(2)+ √(5) is rational. Then r- √(2)= √(5).
Squaring both sides, r2- 2√(2)r+ 2= 5 so 2√(2)= r2- 3. Then √(2)= (r2- 3)/2. Since the rational numbers are closed under multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, the right hand side is rational, giving the contradiction that √(2) is rational.

Another way of doing it, which I think is slightly "nicer" than squaring is as follows :

Let [tex]\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{2} = x_1[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{5} - \sqrt{2} = x_2[/tex]

Assume [tex]x_1[/tex] is rational and can be expressed as [tex]\frac{p}{q}[/tex], where p and q are coprime integers.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(x_1 - x_2) = \sqrt{2}[/tex], which is irrational, hence [tex]x_2[/tex] has to be irrational (since [tex]x_1[/tex] is rational by assumption).

But [tex]x_1x_2 = 3[/tex], giving [tex]x_2 = \frac{3}{x_1} = \frac{3q}{p}[/tex]

This implies [tex]x_2[/tex] is rational, contradicting the above.

Hence [tex]x_1[/tex] is irrational (QED).

Yes, that is nice.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is nice.

Thank you. :smile:

BTW, there is a small error in your explanation of the squaring proof. It should go like so :

[tex]r^2 - 2\sqrt{2}r + 2 = 5[/tex]
[tex]2\sqrt{2}r = r^2 - 3[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{2} = \frac{1}{2}(r - \frac{3}{r})[/tex]

And LHS is irrational, RHS is rational, contradiction. You forgot the 'r' when you typed it out. Just a minor point, doesn't change the substance of your proof at all. :biggrin:

thanks to all! it kinda makes sence!

What is irrationality?

Irrationality is a mathematical concept that refers to a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. These numbers are typically represented by decimal expansions that do not terminate or repeat.

How do we prove that a number is irrational?

There are several methods for proving irrationality, including the proof by contradiction, the proof by the infinitude of primes, and the proof by continued fractions. These methods involve showing that a number cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, thus proving its irrationality.

Can every number be proven to be irrational?

No, not every number can be proven to be irrational. In fact, the majority of numbers are irrational. This is because there are infinitely more irrational numbers than rational numbers. However, some numbers, such as whole numbers and terminating decimals, can be proven to be rational.

What are some famous examples of irrational numbers?

Some examples of famous irrational numbers include pi (3.1415926...), the golden ratio (1.6180339...), and the square root of 2 (1.4142135...). These numbers have infinite decimal expansions that do not terminate or repeat, making them irrational.

Why is proving irrationality important in mathematics?

Proving irrationality is important in mathematics because it helps us understand and classify different types of numbers. It also helps us solve problems and make connections between different mathematical concepts. Additionally, irrational numbers have many real-world applications, such as in geometry, physics, and finance.