Proving L is not Regular using Pumping Lemma

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regular
In summary, the conversation discusses using the pumping lemma to prove that the language $L=\{ww^R \mid w \in \{0, 1\}^{\star} \}$ is not regular. The approach involves supposing that $L$ is regular and recognized by a DFA with $k$ states, and then using a specific string to show that there is a contradiction. The conversation also mentions considering different cases for the string $y$, but it is not necessary due to the restrictions of the pumping lemma.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to prove that the language $$L=\{ww^R \mid w \in \{0, 1\}^{\star} \}$$ is not regular using the pumping lemma. I have done the following:

We suppose that $L$ is regular and is recognized by a DFA $M$ with $k$ states.
So, $M$ accepts the string $0^k110^k$.
Since $|0^k110^k|=2k+2>k$, there is a state $q$ through which $0^k110^k$ passes at least twice.
So, $0^k110^k$ is of the form $0^k110^k=xyz$, where $x$ leads $M$ from $q_0$ to $q$, $y$ leads $M$ from $q$ to $q$ (and $y \neq \varepsilon$) and $z$ leads $M$ from $q$ to an accepting state.
We suppose that $M$ accepts every string of the form $xy^iz, i \geq 1$.

Is the formulation until this point correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

To get a contradiction do we have to take cases for what $y$ contains? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We suppose that $L$ is regular and is recognized by a DFA $M$ with $k$ states.
So, $M$ accepts the string $0^k110^k$.
Since $|0^k110^k|=2k+2>k$, there is a state $q$ through which $0^k110^k$ passes at least twice.
So, $0^k110^k$ is of the form $0^k110^k=xyz$, where $x$ leads $M$ from $q_0$ to $q$, $y$ leads $M$ from $q$ to $q$ (and $y \neq \varepsilon$) and $z$ leads $M$ from $q$ to an accepting state.
This is correct, but it is not necessary to invoke automata during an application of the pumping lemma. You don't want to prove it all over again.

mathmari said:
We suppose that $M$ accepts every string of the form $xy^iz, i \geq 1$.
It's not "suppose", it follows that it is the case. You could say, "Then the pumping lemma asserts that every string of the form $xy^iz, i \geq 1$ is in $L$".

mathmari said:
To get a contradiction do we have to take cases for what $y$ contains?
Yes, you need to consider the cases when $y$ is contained in the first zeros portion, second zeros portion and when it contains a 1. However, one variant of the pumping lemma says in addition that $|xy|\le k$ where $k$ is the pumping length, i.e., the constant whose existence is guaranteed by the lemma (it is equal to the number of states in the automaton, but, again, it is not necessary to mention it). Then it follows that $y$ is in the first zeros portion, which makes considering other cases unnecessary.

What is the Pumping Lemma?

The Pumping Lemma is a theorem in formal language theory that provides a necessary condition for a language to be regular. It states that if a language L is regular, then there exists a constant number p, called the pumping length, such that any string in L of length p or longer can be divided into three parts, such that the middle part can be "pumped" any number of times and still be in L.

How does the Pumping Lemma prove that L is not regular?

The Pumping Lemma can be used to prove that a language L is not regular by showing that there is no possible way to divide a string in L into three parts that satisfy the conditions of the lemma. This means that the language L cannot be pumped and therefore, cannot be regular.

What are the three conditions that must be satisfied in order to use the Pumping Lemma?

The three conditions are: 1) the language L must be regular, 2) the string must be longer than the pumping length p, and 3) the string must be able to be divided into three parts in such a way that the middle part can be pumped any number of times and still be in L.

What are some common mistakes when using the Pumping Lemma to prove that L is not regular?

One common mistake is assuming that the pumping length p is the same for all strings in the language L. In reality, the pumping length may differ for each string. Another mistake is assuming that the middle part of the string can only be pumped once. The lemma states that it can be pumped any number of times.

Are there any limitations to using the Pumping Lemma to prove that L is not regular?

Yes, there are some limitations. The Pumping Lemma can only be used to prove that a language is not regular, but it cannot prove that a language is regular. In addition, not all non-regular languages can be proven using the Pumping Lemma, as there may be other methods or techniques that are more suitable for certain languages.