Proving p is multiple of 3 iff p^2 is

• Thread starter gottfried
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, to prove that p^2 is a multiple of 3 ⇔ p is a multiple of 3, we can use an indirect proof by assuming p^2 is not a multiple of 3 and showing that this leads to a contradiction. This can be done by considering the different forms of p^2 (3n+1 or 3n+2) and showing that they cannot be true if p is not a multiple of 3. Therefore, p^2 must be a multiple of 3 if p is a multiple of 3, and vice versa.
gottfried

Homework Statement

Prove that p^2 is a mutiple of 3 ⇔ p is a multiple of 3. We are told p is an integer.

The Attempt at a Solution

If p is a multiple of 3 then p=3.a (aEZ) and p^2 = 3.(3.a^2) which is clearly a multiple of 3

Suppose p^2 is a multiple of 3.
Then P^2 = 3.a and p=3.(√a/√3) since we know p is an interger (√a/√3) must be an integer and therefore p is a multiple of 3.

Homework Equations

This isn't the solution that was given to me and I'm wondering whether it is correct or if I've missed something obvious. Or if there is an even easier way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]p^2[/itex] is a multiple of 3, we can write [itex]p^2=3x[/itex]. Taking the square root of both sides yields [itex]p=\sqrt{x}\sqrt{3}[/itex]. We know that [itex]p^2[/itex] is a perfect square and hence p is an integer. However, if p is an integer, the integer x must be of the form 3a for some perfect square a. Then, we obtain [itex]p=\sqrt{3a}\sqrt{3}=3\sqrt{a}[/itex], which is an integer. If x is not of this form, we obtain a contradiction because then p can't be an integer.

You might be requested to explain why exactly it is that x must be of that form. How can you explain this?

Millennial said:
You might be requested to explain why exactly it is that x must be of that form. How can you explain this?

If I understand you correctly you are claiming that x must be in that form because otherwise we would have [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] multiplied by [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] which couldn't be a integer (since an irrational multiplied by anything is irrational)but if one claims that aren't we assuming that [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is irrational which we can't do. ie. since we don't yet know that [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is irrational and therefore could be rational and therefore could be an integer when multiplied by [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex].

I'm relatively new to proving things and often get my logic in a knot so I do apologise if I've miss understood.

[tex] p \cdot p = 3 \cdot q [/tex][tex] p = \frac {3 \cdot q} {p} [/tex]Since the left-hand side is an integer, then the fraction must be reducible. Assume p is not a multiple of 3, then q must be a multiple p, so we get [tex] p = 3 \cdot s [/tex]which means p is a multiple of 3.

I would recommend an indirect proof. If [itex]p^2[/itex] is NOT a multiple of 3 then it is of the form 3n+1 or 3n+ 2.

Now use the fact that [itex](3k+1)^2= 9k^2+ 6k+ 1= 3(3k^2+ 2k)+ 1[/itex] and that [itex](3k+ 2)^2= 9k^2+ 12k+ 4= 3(3k^2+ 4k+ 1)+ 1[/itex].

Thanks

1. How can you prove that p is a multiple of 3 if and only if p^2 is?

To prove this statement, we can use the concept of modular arithmetic. If p is a multiple of 3, then it can be expressed as p = 3k, where k is an integer. When we square both sides, we get p^2 = 9k^2. Since 9 is also a multiple of 3, p^2 is also a multiple of 3. Similarly, if p^2 is a multiple of 3, then it can be expressed as p^2 = 3m, where m is an integer. Taking the square root of both sides, we get p = √(3m), which can only be an integer if m is also a multiple of 3. Therefore, p must be a multiple of 3 as well.

2. What is modular arithmetic and how does it relate to this statement?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical concept that deals with the remainder when a number is divided by another number. In this statement, we are using modular arithmetic to show that if a number is a multiple of 3, then its square is also a multiple of 3. This is because when we divide a multiple of 3 by 3, the remainder is always 0, and when we square a number, the remainder remains 0.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's take the number 21. This number is a multiple of 3, as 21 = 3 * 7. When we square 21, we get 441, which is also a multiple of 3, as 441 = 3 * 147. On the other hand, let's take the number 5. This number is not a multiple of 3, as it leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3. When we square 5, we get 25, which is also not a multiple of 3, as it leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 3.

4. Is this statement true for all numbers or only certain ones?

This statement is true for all numbers. It is a fundamental property of numbers and follows the rules of modular arithmetic. Therefore, this statement holds true for all integers, whether they are positive or negative.

5. How is this statement useful in mathematics or other fields?

This statement can be useful in various mathematical proofs and applications. It is also used in fields such as computer science and cryptography, where modular arithmetic is used to perform operations on large numbers. This statement can also be applied in real-life situations, such as in simplifying fractions or finding common multiples of numbers.