Proving Quantum Mechanics Inequalities

In the end, the same <\psi|P|\psi> term appears in both inequalities which means that the first inequality implies the second.In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in proving quantum mechanics inequalities, specifically one involving observable P and another involving state vectors. The conversation also suggests using a general inequality and finding a simplified expression using a complete basis. Ultimately, it is concluded that the first inequality can be used to prove the second one.
jameson2

Homework Statement

I'm looking for help in proving a few quantum mechanics inequalities. I can't really get started on any of them, so just a few general tips would be helpful. For example:

Given a complete set of normalized discrete eigenstates |n> with eigenvalues q_n.
For any observable P the expectation value of P^2 in the state |n>, <n|P^2|n> satisfies |<n|P|m>|^2 [tex] \leq [/tex] <n|P^2|n> where m is any state from the basis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not looking for an answer as I haven't even figured out how to attempt it, any hints would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying

[tex]\sum_m | \langle n | P | m\rangle |^2,[/tex]

where the sum is over the complete basis.

Alternatively: do you know the general inequality (it even has its name!)

[tex]|<\psi |\phi>|^2\leq\;\; <\psi|\psi><\phi|\phi>[/tex]?

If so, set [tex]|\psi>=P|n>,\, |\phi >=|m>.[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok I think I got it.
I also have this one which I'm not sure about:
For any obserable P and normalised state vector [tex]|\psi > [/tex]
[tex]<\psi |P^2|\psi> \geq <\psi|P|\psi>^2[/tex]

Can you say that [tex] <\psi |P^2|\psi>=<\psi |P|p_{\psi}\psi>=p_{\psi}<\psi |P|\psi>=p_{\psi}^2<\psi |\psi> [/tex] ?

Can you say that ...
No.
But this is the same inequality as the first one, only written in the opposite direction and letters has been changed.

But there are now state vectors instead of eigenstates, I assumed that makes a difference?

In the first inequality you never use the fact that they are eigenvectors. It was irrelevant.

Related to Proving Quantum Mechanics Inequalities

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What are Quantum Mechanics Inequalities?

Quantum Mechanics Inequalities are mathematical expressions used to describe the relationship between certain physical quantities in quantum systems. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of particles at a quantum level.

3. How are Quantum Mechanics Inequalities proven?

Quantum Mechanics Inequalities are proven through mathematical and experimental methods. Scientists use mathematical equations and models to predict the behavior of particles, and then conduct experiments to test these predictions and verify the accuracy of the inequalities.

4. Why is proving Quantum Mechanics Inequalities important?

Proving Quantum Mechanics Inequalities is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature at the smallest scale. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles, which has practical applications in many fields such as technology, medicine, and engineering.

5. What are some examples of Quantum Mechanics Inequalities?

One example of a Quantum Mechanics Inequality is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Other examples include Bell's Inequality, the Pauli Exclusion Principle, and the Schrödinger Equation.