Proving Set Theory Equations with Nullspace Intersection

In summary: Review the definitions of the items in the statement of the problem.let x belong to P(A)-P(B)so x is a subset of A and is not a subset of Bso x is a subset of (A-B)so x belongs to P(A-B)hence P(A)-P(B) is a subset of P(A-B)someone please help me understand how to do this: In summary, nullspace is a subset of A and B' but it is not a subset of A-B.
pinkyjoshi65

Homework Statement

1)Prove for all sets A and B contained in a universe U, if A intersection B' = nullspace then
P(A) − P(B) is a subset of P(A − B).

2)Prove for all sets A and B contained in a universe U, if A intersection B = nullspace then
P(A) − P(B) is a subset of P(A − B).

3)Prove for all sets A and B contained in a universe U, if A intersection B' = nullspace and
A intersection B = nullspace, then P(A) − P(B) is not a subset of P(A − B).

Homework Equations

I've trired some. I just need to know if the first one is correct. I don't know how to do the other 2. Please help me asap. Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) A inter B = nullspace...Hence A inter B is a subset of nullspace and nullspace is a subset of A inter B.
Hence nullspace is a subset of A and is a subset of B'-----(a)
Hence nullspace belongs to P(A) and also to P(B')
Hence nullspace belongs to P(A)-P(B).
From (a) we have nullspace is a subset of A and is not a subset of B
Hence nullspace is a subset of (A-B)
Hence nullspace belongs to P(A-B)
therefore P(A)-P(B) is a subset of P(A-B)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is invalid: Hence nullspace belongs to P(A)-P(B).

Things you stated up to that point are true, but mostly not of much use, since the nullset is automatically a subset of any set (in particular of A and B and B' and...)

So what do you suggest i do?

pinkyjoshi65 said:
So what do you suggest i do?

Review the definitions of the items in the statement of the problem.

how about i do this:

let x belong to P(A)-P(B)
so x is a subset of A and is not a subset of B
so x is a subset of (A-B)
so x belongs to P(A-B)
hence P(A)-P(B) is a subset of P(A-B)

someone please help

pinkyjoshi65 said:
how about i do this:

let x belong to P(A)-P(B)
so x is a subset of A and is not a subset of B

a good start

so x is a subset of (A-B)

does not follow

Related to Proving Set Theory Equations with Nullspace Intersection

1. What is set theory and why is it important in mathematics?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important in mathematics because it provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus.

2. How do you prove a statement using set theory?

To prove a statement using set theory, you must use a logical argument based on the axioms and rules of set theory. This involves using definitions, properties of sets, and logical reasoning to show that the statement is true.

3. What are the common tools used in set theory proofs?

The common tools used in set theory proofs include set operations such as union, intersection, and complement, as well as concepts like subsets, power sets, and cardinality. Logic and mathematical symbols are also commonly used in set theory proofs.

4. How do you construct a counterexample in set theory?

A counterexample in set theory is a specific example that disproves a statement. To construct a counterexample, you must find a set or sets that violate the statement and show that it is false. This involves using the definitions and properties of sets to find a contradiction.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid in set theory proofs?

Common mistakes to avoid in set theory proofs include using incorrect definitions or properties, assuming the statement is true without proper justification, and making logical errors. It is important to carefully follow the rules and axioms of set theory and to clearly explain each step in the proof.