Proving a Function is OntoIs f: ZxZ->Z an onto function?

• Thread starter alman9898
  • Start date
In summary, the function f: ZxZ->Z is onto for all five options given, as for each one there exists at least one pair (m,n) such that f(m,n) = a for any integer a. This can be proven by setting m = (a+n)/2 and solving for n, which will result in integer solutions for both even and odd values of a. Therefore, the function is onto and covers the entire set of integers as its range.
alman9898

Homework Statement

Determine whether f: ZxZ->Z is onto if

(a) f(m, n) = 2m-n
(b) f(m, n) = n^2 - m^2
(c) f(m, n) = m + n + 1
(d) f(m, n) = |m| - |n|
(e) f(m, n) = m^2 - 4

Homework Equations

A function is onto if for every y in the codomain there is at least one X in the domain st f(x) = y

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start proving this. I know I'm supposed to prove that for every integer y, there is at least 1 (m, n) pair, but that requires solving for another variable m or n doesn't it? This leaves a lot of m,n to test for yes?

For example, I can go about the first one by setting m = (y+n)/2 and if y = 0 and n is odd then m is not an integer. However, I know from reading ahead that the first one is onto.

For the last one I can do

sqrt(y+4) = m
If y = 1, then m is not an integer and so y = 1 is not in the range

Am I supposed to prove the cases where m is odd, n is even, both are even, both are odd, m is even, n is odd?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find what the range is. Clearly, it is the set of integers. Thus for every integer a, we should have f(x, y) = a

for the first part [tex]2m - n = a => 2m = a + n[/tex]. Since m and n are also integers. find how many such pairs satisfy. In fact, don't find all pairs, just prove that atleast one answer exists...

Remember, that a is an integer and can be negative

Heres a try at the first one

m = (a+n)/2 is an integer only if m is even which => (a+n) must be even.

(a+n) is even if a & n are both even or both odd which covers a for both even and odd integers

alman9898 said:

(a+n) is even if a & n are both even or both odd which covers a for both even and odd integers

ok, why should m be even? a + n should be even, because it is being divided by two, and the result must be an integer. However, m need not be.

9 = (11 + 7)/2

alman9898 said:

No, m does not have to be even, only a+ n does.

For a any integer, 2m-n= a implies m= (a+n)/2. Okay, if a is even, say a= 2k, take n= 0 so m= a/2= k: 2k- 0= 2k= a. If a is odd, say a= 2k+1, take n= 1 so m= (2k+ 2)/2= k+1; 2(k+1)- 1= 2k+ 2- 1= 2k+ 1= a. For any a, there exist m and n such that 2m- n= a. The function is "onto" Z.

(Note: this function is not "one to one". f(3,5)= 2(3)- 5= 1 and f(2, 3)= 2(2)- 3= 1.)

1. What does it mean for something to be "onto"?

Being "onto" or "surjective" means that every element in the range of a function or relation has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, every output has at least one input that produces it.

2. How do you prove that something is onto?

To prove that something is onto, you must show that every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. This can be done by either providing a specific mapping for each element in the range, or by using the definition of onto and showing that it applies to the function or relation in question.

3. Can something be both onto and one-to-one?

Yes, it is possible for something to be both onto and one-to-one. This type of function or relation is called a bijection and it means that every element in the range has exactly one corresponding element in the domain.

4. What is the difference between proving something is onto and proving it is one-to-one?

Proving that something is onto means showing that every output has at least one corresponding input, while proving that something is one-to-one means showing that every output has at most one corresponding input. In other words, onto means every output has at least one input, while one-to-one means every output has at most one input.

5. Can you give an example of a function that is onto?

An example of a function that is onto is f(x) = x^2, where the domain and range are both the set of real numbers. Every output in the range (positive and negative numbers) has at least one corresponding input (the square root of the output).