1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a certian subset of L^1([0,1]) is closed

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

The problem: Let M be the set of all [tex]f\in L^1 \left( \left[ 0,1\right] \right) [/tex] relative to the Lebesgue measure, such that

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{1}f(t)dt = 1[/tex].

Show that M is a closed convex subset of [tex]L^1 \left( \left[ 0,1\right] \right) [/tex] which contains infinitely many elements of minimal norm.

What I've got: Define the linear functional [tex]\Lambda f = \int_{t=0}^{1}f(t)dt[/tex]

Convexity is easy, for any f,g in M and s in (0,1) put [tex]h_s(t)=sf(t)+(1-s)h(t)[/tex] so that

[tex]\Lambda h_s = \Lambda \left( sf+(1-s)h\right) = s\Lambda f + (1-s)\Lambda g = s + (1-s) = 1\Rightarrow \int_{t=0}^{1}h_s(t)dt = 1\Rightarrow h_s\in M[/tex]

by which it is understood that M is convex.

That M is closed is my first trouble. Let [tex]\left\{ f_k\right\} \rightarrow f[/tex] be a sequence of vectors such that [tex]f_k\in M,\forall k\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]. Then we know that

[tex]\forall \epsilon >0, \exists N\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that }k\geq N\Rightarrow \| f_k - f\| = \Lambda \left( |f_k - f|\right) < \epsilon[/tex]

How do I prove that [tex]f\in M[/tex] ? Can I show that [tex]\Lambda[/tex] is a bounded linear map (actually functional) from [tex]L^1 \left( \left[ 0,1\right] \right)[/tex] into [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Think I got the closed part:

[tex]|1 - \Lambda f |=|\Lambda f_k - \Lambda f |=|\Lambda \left( f_k - f\right) |\leq \Lambda \left( |f_k - f|\right) < \epsilon\Rightarrow 1-\epsilon < \Lambda f < 1+ \epsilon[/tex]

anbd since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is arbitrary, [tex]\Lambda f =1\Rightarrow f\in M,[/tex] right?
  4. Jan 19, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're making it more complicated than it is. I mean, what is the topology on the space? Surely it is then trivial that the inverse image of a the point 1 under the (continuous, from the topology you put on the space!) functional f--> integral(f) is closed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?