Proving that a solution to an IVP is unique and infinitely differentiable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the equation \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + t\frac{dy}{dt} + t^3y = e^t with initial conditions, proving its uniqueness and infinite differentiability, and determining the fourth derivative of the solution at t = 0. Different methods are suggested, including using Laplace Transform, the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem, and Picard's theorem for systems. Ultimately, it is shown that the solution is unique and infinitely differentiable, and the fourth derivative at t = 0 is found to be 1.
JPaquim

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + t\frac{dy}{dt} + t^3y = e^t;\ \ \ y(0) = 0, \ \ y'(0) = 0[/itex]

Show that the solution is unique and has derivatives of all orders. Determine the fourth derivative of the solution at t = 0.2. The attempt at a solution

I'm somewhat lost here... Trying to Laplace Transform it produces a third degree ODE, which doesn't really seem any simpler...

I guess I can calculate the fourth derivative at 0 by first calculating the second, by directly substituting the initial conditions, differentiating the quation and finding the third derivative, and differentiate it again to find the fourth... Doing it like so gives me [itex]y^{(4)} = 1[/itex]

However, I don't really know how to prove uniqueness nor C^∞ness... Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that your equation has a unique solution as it's a second-order linear ODE with initial conditions. It's a direct consequence of the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem.

As for showing that the solution is infinitely differentiable, I don't know if this is a valid argument but you already found the fourth derivative at t=0. Maybe you can find a pattern in successive derivatives and put down an argument.

I'm not sure if the existence of n derivatives at t=0 implies that the solution is n times differentiable, but maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Thank you for your answer. My teacher's suggestion was to turn the equation into an equivalent system of linear differential equations, and then use Picard's theorem for systems to prove uniqueness. I guess I wasn't supposed to directly invoque the existence and uniqueness theorem for linear equations of nth order...

And the suggestion he gave for proving infinite differentiability was exactly to recursively differentiate the original equations a sufficient number of times to obtain a differential equation for the nth derivative, for any n. And then use the same argument for existence and uniqueness.

Cheers

It's fairly easy to show that a solution to such a d.e is infinitely differentiable.

If [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ t\frac{dy}{dt}+ t^3y= e^t[/tex] the y is obviously twice differentiable!

We can rewrite this as [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}= e^t- t\frac{dy}{dt}- t^3y[/tex]. Since y is at least twice differentiable, the right side is differentiable and therefore, so is the left side: [tex]\frac{d^3y}{dt^3}= e^t- t\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}- \frac{dy}{dt}- t^3\frac{dy}{dx}- 3t^2y[/tex].

Now every function on the right side of that is differentiable and so
[tex]\frac{d^4y}{dt^4}= e^t- t\frac{d^3y}{dt^3}- \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex][tex]- \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-[/tex][tex] t^3\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}- 3t^2\frac{dy}{dt}- 3t^3\frac{dy}{dt}- 6ty[/tex].

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say with recursively differentiating the original equation to obtain an equation for the nth derivative. But thank you, still ;)

Cheers

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP, or initial value problem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain initial conditions. These initial conditions specify the value of the unknown function at a particular point in the domain.

2. Why is it important to prove that a solution to an IVP is unique?

Proving that a solution to an IVP is unique ensures that there is only one possible solution to the problem. This is important because it allows us to confidently use the solution in further calculations and analysis without worrying about ambiguity or multiple solutions.

3. What does it mean for a solution to be infinitely differentiable?

A solution to an IVP is infinitely differentiable if it has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. This means that the solution is smooth and can be approximated by polynomials with increasing accuracy.

4. How is the uniqueness and infinite differentiability of a solution to an IVP proven?

The uniqueness of a solution to an IVP can be proven using the Picard-Lindelöf theorem, which states that under certain conditions, there exists a unique solution to an IVP. The infinite differentiability of a solution can be proven by showing that the solution satisfies the necessary conditions for infinite differentiability, such as being continuous and having continuous derivatives of all orders.

5. Why is it necessary to prove the uniqueness and infinite differentiability of a solution to an IVP?

Proving the uniqueness and infinite differentiability of a solution to an IVP is necessary in order to ensure that the solution is well-defined and can be used in further calculations and analysis. It also helps to establish the validity of the solution and confirms that it is the correct solution to the problem at hand.