Proving that a triangular matrix is invertible

• Thread starter Icheb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the determinant of a triangular matrix is the product of the diagonal elements. This can be demonstrated by using the definition of the determinant and Gaussian transformation. Once this is shown, the proof is complete.
Icheb
I have a square triangular matrix with [tex]d_{ij} = 0[/tex] for all [tex]1 \le j < i \le n[/tex]. Now I have to prove that this matrix is only then invertible when [tex]d_{ii} \ne 0[/tex] for all [tex]1 \le i \le n[/tex].

From what I know a matrix is only then invertible when its determinant does not equal 0. I also think that the determinant of a triangular matrix is dependent on the product of the elements of the main diagonal and if that's true, I'd have the proof. However this is also where I'm stuck since I don't know how to prove that. Could someone help me there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Formulate the determinant using determinant expansion by minors on the first column.

You should get a very compact expression that only involves the diagonal elements.

Icheb said:
I also think that the determinant of a triangular matrix is dependent on the product of the elements of the main diagonal and if that's true, I'd have the proof. However this is also where I'm stuck since I don't know how to prove that. Could someone help me there?

It's a simple proof. Just use the definition of the determinant.

Ok, do I understand it correctly that if all elements of one line equal 0, the determinant equals 0? So I would just have to prove that the matrix is linear (Did I translate that word correctly?) and my proof would be complete? Or am I missing something?

You're missing something. It is straightfoward to show from the definition of determinant by expansion that the determinant of a triangular matrix is the product of the diagonal elements. A row of zeroes is neither here nor there.

But why wouldn't it suffice if I assume one element of the main diagonal to be 0, then I use Gaussian transformation to change the last line so it contains only 0s? Then if the last line contains only 0s the determinant would be 0 because of the linearity.

Yes, that works. However, you'd need a proof that you'll always get a row of zeros.

Besides, the proof that the determinant of a diagonal matrix is the product of the diagonal elements is similar enough.

Alright, thank you very much. :)

1. What is a triangular matrix?

A triangular matrix is a square matrix where all the entries above or below the main diagonal are zero. Depending on the position of the zeros, it can be an upper triangular matrix (zeros below the main diagonal) or a lower triangular matrix (zeros above the main diagonal).

2. How can you tell if a triangular matrix is invertible?

A triangular matrix is invertible if and only if all the entries on the main diagonal are non-zero. This is because the determinant of a triangular matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal entries. If any of the diagonal entries are zero, the determinant will be zero and the matrix will not be invertible.

3. What is the process for proving that a triangular matrix is invertible?

The most common method is to calculate the determinant of the matrix. As mentioned before, if the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. Another method is to use Gaussian elimination to reduce the matrix to its reduced row-echelon form. If the resulting matrix is the identity matrix, then the original matrix is invertible.

4. Can a triangular matrix be invertible if it has zero entries on the main diagonal?

No, a triangular matrix must have non-zero entries on the main diagonal in order to be invertible. This is because the determinant of a matrix with zero entries on the main diagonal will always be zero.

5. Are there any special properties of invertible triangular matrices?

Yes, an upper triangular matrix is always invertible and its inverse is also upper triangular. Additionally, the inverse of a lower triangular matrix is also lower triangular. This can make computing the inverse of a triangular matrix easier and faster compared to a general square matrix.