Proving the Continuity of Projections in Vector Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses whether projections are always continuous and if there is a simple way to prove it. The speaker proposes a potential counterexample in the form of a projection from l^1 to l^1, but realizes that it is not a valid one. They suggest that choosing vector spaces with finite components could potentially serve as a counterexample.
jostpuur
Are projections always continuous? If they are, is there simple way to prove it?

If P:V->V is a projection, I can see that P(V) is a subspace, and restriction of P to this subspace is the identity, and it seems intuitively clear that vectors outside this subspace are always mapped to shorter ones, but I don't know how to prove it.

If V was a Hilbert space, and we knew P(V) is closed, then I could prove this using the projection theorem. However only way to prove that P(V) is closed, that I know, is to use continuity of P.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a counter example?

[tex]P:l^1\to l^1[/tex]

[tex](1,0,0,0,0,0,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,2,0,0,0,0,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex](0,1,0,0,0,0,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,1,0,0,0,0,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex](0,0,1,0,0,0,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,0,0,3,0,0,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex](0,0,0,1,0,0,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,0,0,1,0,0,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex](0,0,0,0,1,0,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,0,0,0,0,4,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex](0,0,0,0,0,1,0,\ldots)\mapsto (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,\ldots)[/tex]
[tex]\cdots[/tex]

hmh.. no it is not, because the mapping is not well defined, since (1,1,1,...) would be mapped to have infinite norm. But if we choose such vector spaces, where only finite amount of components can have non-zero values, then that could be it.

(It seems I mixed [itex]l^1[/itex] and [itex]l^{\infty}[/itex].)

Last edited:
just take a non closed subspace and a complement and project on the complement.

Related to Proving the Continuity of Projections in Vector Spaces

What is meant by "continuity of projection"?

Continuity of projection refers to the seamless transition of a projected image across different surfaces or screens, maintaining the same aspect ratio and visual quality.

Why is continuity of projection important?

Continuity of projection is important for maintaining a cohesive visual experience for the audience, especially in large-scale events or installations where multiple screens or surfaces are used.

What factors can affect continuity of projection?

The main factors that can affect continuity of projection include the aspect ratio and resolution of the content, the type of projection technology used, and the distance and angle of the projector from the surface.

How can continuity of projection be achieved?

To achieve continuity of projection, careful planning and calibration are necessary. This includes selecting appropriate content and projection technology, as well as positioning and aligning the projectors correctly.

What are some common challenges in maintaining continuity of projection?

Some common challenges in maintaining continuity of projection include differences in screen or surface sizes, lighting conditions, and environmental factors such as wind or vibrations that can affect the projection.