Proving the Limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0

• Thread starter WrongMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I am from portugal and we use that word here too. Thanks again for the helpIn summary, the problem is to prove the limit as n approaches infinity of n(a^(1/n) - 1) is equal to log(a) for every a>0. The student had trouble knowing where to start, but with the hint of using L'Hopital's Rule, they were able to solve the problem. The solution involves writing the expression as a quotient and taking the limit as n approaches infinity, using the rule that the limit of a quotient is equal to the quotient of the limits. The final result is that the limit is equal to log(a), proving the original statement.
WrongMan

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the limit as n ⇒ ∞ of: n(a1/n-1) = log(a) -> For every a >0

Homework Equations

I have no idea what to use

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an exam question i left it blank, because i had (and have) no idea on where to even start, I've tried using integrals/antiderivatives, but i didnt seem to get anywhere, this part of the exam was about derivatives, antiderivateves, integrals and fundamental calculus theorems (which we use to plot functions, so i don't see this one applying here)
I know that if i set "a" as 1 that checks out, but that doesn't prove anything...
ive thought about using the left side of the equation as an exponent to "e" and setting it as equal to "a" but i don't see that helping.
What am i supposed to use to prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
WrongMan said:

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the limit as n ⇒ ∞ of: n(a1/n-1) = log(a) -> For every a >0

Homework Equations

I have no idea what to use

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an exam question i left it blank, because i had (and have) no idea on where to even start, I've tried using integrals/antiderivatives, but i didnt seem to get anywhere, this part of the exam was about derivatives, antiderivateves, integrals and fundamental calculus theorems (which we use to plot functions, so i don't see this one applying here)
I know that if i set "a" as 1 that checks out, but that doesn't prove anything...
ive thought about using the left side of the equation as an exponent to "e" and setting it as equal to "a" but i don't see that helping.
What am i supposed to use to prove this?
I would start by writing ##n(a^{1/n} - 1)## as ##\frac{a^{1/n} - 1}{1/n}## and then takiing the limit.

Likes WrongMan
Mark44 said:
I would start by writing ##n(a^{1/n} - 1)## as ##\frac{a^{1/n} - 1}{1/n}## and then takiing the limit.

Hmm, i don't see it ...
as n becomes greater the nth root of a goes really near to 1, and if you take 1 out of it, you get a value between 0 and 1, divided by an (more or less) equally small number, it just leaves me at the same place as not doing that.

Should i take a derivative of both sides? that doesn't seem to help me either
i think i don't know which "limit solving algorithm" I am supposed to use

WrongMan said:
Hmm, i don't see it ...
as n becomes greater the nth root of a goes really near to 1, and if you take 1 out of it, you get a value between 0 and 1, divided by an (more or less) equally small number, it just leaves me at the same place as not doing that.
So as ##n \to \infty##, the numerator approaches 0, right? What does the denominator do?
WrongMan said:
Should i take a derivative of both sides? that doesn't seem to help me either
i think i don't know which "limit solving algorithm" I am supposed to use

Likes WrongMan
Mark44 said:
So as ##n \to \infty##, the numerator approaches 0, right? What does the denominator do?
also aproaches 0, because nth root goes to 1.
im not sure how to evaluate how fast they approach it and what the relation between it

WrongMan said:
also aproaches 0, because nth root goes to 1.
im not sure how to evaluate how fast they approach it and what the relation between it
OK, so both numerator and denominator are approaching zero. There should be some rule (that's a hint) you've learned about that you can use.

Likes WrongMan
Mark44 said:
OK, so both numerator and denominator are approaching zero. There should be some rule (that's a hint) you've learned about that you can use.
Riiiiight, i can only think of the l'hopital or cauchy's rule, i don't think that's it, but I'm going to think about that for a while, and try these and other methods, thanks, i'l upate here in a bit

I was hinting at L'Hopital's Rule. Why do you think it doesn't apply here?

Likes WrongMan
Mark44 said:
I was hinting at L'Hopital's Rule. Why do you think it doesn't apply here?
because that was one of the first things i thought of, it didnt seem like it was going to help as getting and exponential of((1-n)/n) didnt seem like a great simplification, I am trying this out now

so numerator look like 1/n * a(1-n/n) and 1-n/n goes to -1.. so numerator = 1/n*a, this doesn't seem right ..

About the denominator, I should derivate in respect to n? wether i do this or not, the result is not correct.

am i supposed to derivate the nominator in respect to n?, i guess i should since its the unknown

Ok i got it right now.
Thanks for all the help :)

WrongMan said:
so numerator look like 1/n * a(1-n/n) and 1-n/n goes to -1.. so numerator = 1/n*a, this doesn't seem right ..
Correct, that's not right. ##a^{1/n}## is an exponential function, not a power function like ##x^n##.
WrongMan said:
About the denominator, I should derivate in respect to n? wether i do this or not, the result is not correct.
"Derivate" is a word, but it's not one that's used in mathematics. You differentiate a function to get its derivative.
WrongMan said:
am i supposed to derivate the nominator in respect to n?, i guess i should since its the unknown

WrongMan said:
Ok i got it right now.
Thanks for all the help :)
Good deal. I'll mark this thread as Solved.

Likes WrongMan
Mark44 said:
"Derivate" is a word, but it's not one that's used in mathematics. You differentiate a function to get its derivative.
Hahahah sorry for the bad english xD, i meant differentiate.

What is the limit of n(a1/n-1) as n approaches infinity?

The limit of n(a1/n-1) as n approaches infinity is equal to a. This can be proven using the definition of a limit and properties of limits.

What is the significance of proving the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0?

Proving the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0 is important in understanding the behavior of functions and their limits. It also has applications in various fields such as calculus, physics, and engineering.

What techniques can be used to prove the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0?

Some techniques that can be used to prove the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0 include using the definition of a limit, algebraic manipulation, and the Squeeze Theorem.

Can the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0 be proven using mathematical induction?

No, mathematical induction cannot be used to prove the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0 as it is a method used to prove statements about integers, not limits.

Are there any real-life applications of the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0?

Yes, the limit of n(a1/n-1) for a > 0 has real-life applications in fields such as finance, where it can be used to calculate compound interest and in physics, where it can be used to model exponential decay.