1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the maximum of a set is unique

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that m and n are both maxima of a set S. Prove that m = n.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

My proof seems much different than the answer key. Here is mine:

Suppose m ≠ n. Take m = max S. We know that m = sup S since m is an upperbound for S and that m ∈ S. If n>m, then n is an upperbound for S. n must be the least upperbound since we know n ∈ S. But we originally said m = sup S, and we know sup S is unique (from a previous theorem). This is a contradiction, so n is not greater than m. If n<m, then n is not an upperbound for S. But we know that n = max S, which means that n is the least upperbound for S, a contradiction. So n is not less than m. We have that m must equal n.

The question is trivially obvious, which is why I think it's a little tough to prove...we can just say it's obvious. But it's hard to not do that...if you know what I'm saying. Anyways I just feel like my proof might be circular or not detailed enough. Please let me know if there is anything I could do better, thank you all in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have, in fact, previously proved that the supremum of a set is unique, and are allowed to use that theorem, you can stop here!

You say there is a different proof in the answer key? I'll bet it's exactly like the proof of the uniqueness of the supremum!

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    That's what I thought...I could stop right there. Originally I DID, but as I was typing it up, I thought I should include it, as it seemed necessary. But thank you so much anyways!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook