1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the scaling property of the Delta function

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]\delta(at)=\frac{1}{abs(a)}\delta(t)[/tex]

Hint: Show that [tex]\int\phi(t)\delta(at)dt=\frac{1}{abs(a)}\phi(0)[/tex]

(the limits of integration are from -inf to +inf btw, I couldn't find how to put them in..)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok. I understand that the integral is only defined for at = 0, i.e., t = 0. But if I follow this logical then I evaluate the integral to be phi(0), not phi(0)/a. Where does the a come from?

And I'm not entirely sure how proving that relationship helps with the proof of the scaling function...
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That trick only works when the argument to the delta is the bare integration variable.
    So try substituting u = a t, so you get something like
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u) \delta(u) \, du = f(0)[/tex]
    (and click the formula to see how I did the boundaries)
  4. Apr 8, 2010 #3
    Ok I've substituted x = at, now I get

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(\frac{x}{a})\delta(x)d\frac{x}{a} = \frac{1}{a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(\frac{x}{a})\delta(x)dx = \frac{1}{a}\phi(\frac{0}{a}) = \frac{1}{a}\phi(0)

I don't quite see how I'm allowed to take the 1/a out of the d/dx operater and put it at the front though. And why should it be the abs(a) not a?

And I still can't see how this helps prove anything.

Cheers, Benjamin
  5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are allowed to take the a outside, because it is just a constant: du = a dt, so dt = (1/a) du, and you can put constants outside the integration as in
    [tex] \int \tfrac12 x^2 \, dx = \tfrac12 \int x^2 \, dx[/tex]

The absolute value of a comes from transforming the integration boundaries. If a < 0, then -infinity goes to +infinity in the transformed integral, and vice versa. However, in the final formula you simply want -infinity to be the lower boundary, and +infinity as the upper boundary. So if a < 0 you have to swap them, at the cost of a minus sign, whereas for a > 0 you don't. Do you have to multiply the whole thing by sgn(a), and then you can shorten sgn(a) / a to 1/abs(a).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook