1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Establish the vector identity
    [tex]

\nabla . (B[/tex] x [tex]A) = (\nabla[/tex] x [tex]A).B - A.(\nabla[/tex] x [tex]B)
    [/tex]

2. Calculate the partial derivative with respect to [tex]x_{k}[/tex] of the quadratic form [tex]A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s}[/tex] with the [tex]A_{rs}[/tex] all constant, i.e. calculate [tex]A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s,k}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]

\nabla . (B[/tex] x [tex]A) = \epsilon_{ijk}A_{j}B_{k,i}
    [/tex]

Now I don't know what to do next.

[tex]
    A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s,k} = A_{rs}\partial_{k}(x_{r}x_{s}) = A_{rs}(x_{r}\partial_k x_{s} + x_{s}\partial_k x_{r})[/tex]

I have no idea if this is right or not.

I'm pretty good at proving vector identities (and Cartesian tensor notation in general), but I get lost when partial derivatives/nablas are involved. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your notation is unclear and misleading. When you write [itex]\nabla\cdot(B\times A) = \epsilon_{ijk}A_j B_{k,i}[/itex], it looks like you're only differentiating Bk. Also, you got the indices wrong since you have BxA, not AxB. On the other hand, you should have [itex]\nabla\cdot(A \times B)[/itex] on the LHS anyway.

Instead, you should write

[tex]\nabla\cdot(A \times B) = \partial_i (\epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k) = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_i (A_j B_k)[/tex]

Use the product rule to differentiate and then convert back to vector notation.

In the second problem, use the fact that the x's are independent, so [itex]\partial_i x_j = 0[/itex] if [itex]i \ne j[/itex] and [itex]\partial_i x_j = 1[/itex] if [itex]i = j[/itex], i.e. [itex]\partial_i x_j = \delta_{ij}[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook