Proving XOR Gate Universality: Elementary Operations & Logical Manipulation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving if an XOR gate is universal, like the NAND and NOR gates. The conversation includes suggestions and hints for how to approach the problem and what to consider. It is ultimately determined that the XOR gate cannot be used to derive AND or OR gates, but it can be used to make an inverter. The conversation ends with a confirmation of this conclusion.
braceman
Hi guys, got a question that's got me stumped. Not looking for the answer as I'd prefer to work it out myself, just a nudge or a pointer in the right direction.
I'm being asked to prove if an XOR gate can be classed as universal (like the NAND & NOR gates are), but not sure how to go about it. I think there must be a simple way to do it, rather than draw numerous combinations of XOR gates.

Homework Statement

Determine the elementary operations that can be derived from XOR and hence determine if it is a universal gate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously got the truth table for XOR, am I supposed to be manipulating this, or taking a function, ie - F = A.B + C. not A and then trying to manipulate this like we do when converting to NAND/NOR (changing gates and inverting terms etc).

Bit stuck, so any pointers would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, misread your post. Look into definitions or requirements of a universal gate.

Last edited:
To prove that gate type X is "universal", you just need to show that the Boolean functions AND, OR, and NOT can be implemented using only gate type X without the need for any other type gate. Can you do that with an XOR gate?

phinds said:
To prove that gate type X is "universal", you just need to show that the Boolean functions AND, OR, and NOT can be implemented using only gate type X without the need for any other type gate. Can you do that with an XOR gate?
Or prove that you can make a single NOR or NAND gate

here is a hint. first see if you can make an inverter
then see if you can make any input a 'blocker.' an example of that is an and gate, if any input is a zero, the ouput will be zero, independent of any other input

Here's another hint: Try to prove you can't make an AND gate. (I don't think this is so easy to show if you haven't seen an argument before though).

Sorry I haven't posted back...forgot all about this post. I got it right in the end, Instructor said I could prove it however I wanted, so I just drew various combinations of 3-4 gates and their associated logic.

Is it correct that AND and OR cannot be derived from XOR at all?

bizuputyi said:
Is it correct that AND and OR cannot be derived from XOR at all?
what do you think, and why?

What I meant is that an AND or OR gated cannot be derived by using only XOR gates. We can however make an inverter out of a XOR gate by connecting constant high to one of its input but I can't see any possible way to get either AND or OR from only XORs. To account for that I would say XOR gives high output only if its two inputs differ.

bizuputyi said:
What I meant is that an AND or OR gated cannot be derived by using only XOR gates. We can however make an inverter out of a XOR gate by connecting constant high to one of its input but I can't see any possible way to get either AND or OR from only XORs. To account for that I would say XOR gives high output only if its two inputs differ.
I agree.

1. What is a universal gate?

A universal gate is a type of logic gate that can be used to perform any logical operation. This means that with only one type of gate, all other gates can be created.

2. Why are universal gates important?

Universal gates are important because they allow for simpler and more efficient circuit designs. Instead of having to use multiple types of gates, a single universal gate can be used to perform all necessary operations.

3. What are examples of universal gates?

The two most common examples of universal gates are the NAND (NOT-AND) and NOR (NOT-OR) gates. Both of these gates can be used to create any other type of gate.

4. How do universal gates work?

Universal gates work by using combinations of inputs to produce a specific output. For example, a NAND gate will output a 0 only if both of its inputs are 1, otherwise it will output a 1.

5. Can universal gates be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, universal gates can be used in any type of circuit as they are able to perform all logical operations. However, they are most commonly used in digital circuits such as computers and calculators.