Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pseudoephedrine now a controlled substance in Oregon

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-16-oregon-meth_x.htm

I don't know if I find this more disappointing or frustrating. Here is the basic math as I understand things: Up to 20% of the methamphetamine in Oregon is produced by using drugs containing pseudoephedrine. But Kulongoski says that this could reduce the meth production by 50%. So, to me this stinks of a law passed in order to appear as though something is being done, when in fact it will probably make little difference in the end. But, now I can't run down and buy my allergy meds when I need them. And I do have a terrible time with allergies. My sister in Ca, a mother with three young kids, was outraged at the notion of this. From her point of view as a mother it is a terrible inconvenience.

I can recall various times where we had problems with all sorts of common agents - kids sniffing model glue, gasoline, and aerosols including paint and various household cleaning agents. I have heard of people eating rat poison, bath tub LSD, and people sniffing crank cut with battery acid.

We can't make every potentially dangerous chemical a controlled substance. And the medical profession doesn't need the additional burden. I understand the intent but I think the pseudo-solution signed into law is all wrong. This is a bandaid that reduces our liberties, albeit just a little, but it is a step in the wrong direction that does nothing to stop the problem.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry Ivan. I'll smuggle Sudafed across the border for ya! Maybe I can disguise them as chocolates.

(That law is really OTT.)

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol a tylenol cold and sinus black market...

Thankfully, only the most intelligent and cunning drug manufactorer will drive a few hours to california to buy some over the counter cold medicine.

5. Aug 16, 2005 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

My feelings are just the same Ivan. Most of the chemicals I hear used to make meth come from Mexico because of the quanitities produced. A few boxes of cold meds don't make enough of the drug for those selling it to be profitable. It is a weak attempt to gratify the media and public that "something is being done" about this drug problem...a little ironic considering that Oregon has some of the most lax laws concerning marijuana.

6. Aug 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They need to be like the central valley over here in CA. Bust down doors, blow up factories, get sued.

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6
    What the hell? Making people fork out their money to see a doctor so he can scribble on some paper. Seriously what doctor is going to refuse this Rx? I want to know the tight ass that suggested this bull so I can personally kick him in the crotch.

People are just going to bring the stuff in from other states now. It isn't going to change a damn thing! How can people be so stupid! Argh! I can hardly contain myself and I don't even live in Oregon.

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You think you're joking huh? I plan to have a closet full of Nyquil before the law takes effect. The stuff is good for up to three years, and during the worst of the season it is the only thing that gives signficant relief - containing diphenhydramine hydrochloride, acetaminophen, and pseudoephidrine, it's perfect! But I can only buy three bottles at a time, so I bought three and will get three more with each trip to the store for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  9. Aug 16, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you. :biggrin: I know, it drives me nuts!

10. Aug 16, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No it wont, these tumors tend to be isolated and proper medication will keep it in check.... or we could fence of Oregon so no one gets out alive.

I hope your wrote your Congressman Ivan :D

11. Aug 16, 2005 #10

SOS2008

Gold Member

I didn't open the link to the actual bill, but in debates I've heard so far, the proposal was to limit the quantity a person could purchase at any one time. (Especially now, with the price of gas soaring upward, who would drive to 10 different drugstores to get the quantity needed? :eek: ) That way the legitimate cold/allergy sufferer could get a box without hassle. Is there any reason this more moderate approach couldn't be taken?

12. Aug 16, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is currently the law but they say it's not working.

Now what should that tell us? :rolleyes:

13. Aug 16, 2005 #12
    You'll probably get searched under some Patriot Act legislation and get busted for being a dealer for having more than the allowed amount on hand.

Convicted, you will then go to jail and develop a heroin addiction.

14. Aug 16, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez! I understand putting it behind the counter so you have to sign a log with a pharmacist to get it, but to require a prescription is insane! I wouldn't want to have to run to a doctor every time I have a cold just so I can get an antihistamine. As if doctor's offices aren't crowded enough during cold and flu season; by the time you'll be able to get into the office, the cold will be over. Pseudophedrine is the only thing I can take that doesn't knock me out. Let's hope other states don't decide to follow OR's lead on that. That's just way over the top.

15. Aug 16, 2005 #14

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl:

I admit, I was think of stocking up and selling supplies at a bit of a profit. But for you Ivan, I'll give a discount. :tongue: Oh wait a minute, will I be busted for shipping it to you? Well maybe I'll meet up with MIH and we'll smuggle it across the border...in exchange for BBQ of course. :biggrin:

16. Aug 16, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, Ivan, what are YOU complaining about? With Tsu working in a hospital, she can probably just ask any doc there to write a scrip for the stuff. They'll probably all be writing prescriptions for each other on something like this.

17. Aug 16, 2005 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

18. Aug 16, 2005 #17
    Requiring a perscription is pretty rediculous. Keeping it off the shelves probably isn't a bad idea though. I wouldn't put it past some druggies to run in a store and grab all they can off the shelf then split with it. Meth addicts are pretty crazy.

19. Aug 16, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Probably already do it anyhow

20. Aug 16, 2005 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

But wouldn't it being kept behind the counter be enough? Why a prescription?

21. Aug 16, 2005 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely there will be a public outcry to overturn this nonsense? Seems like one good flu season ought to motivate people to do something.

I used to roll my eyes when I heard people speculate that the FDA would one day take our vitamins away. Heck, maybe they were on to something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?