Pseudorandomness of correlation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correlation between the orientation of polarization filters and the joint detection of polarization-entangled photons. The measured correlation is cos2(β-α), where α and β are the angles of the respective filters. It is suggested that the distribution of the detections is influenced by the orientation of the filters, leading to a pseudorandom distribution rather than a completely random one. The concept of pseudo-randomness is debated, with some arguing that the wavefunction of the entangled pair could be seen as the cause of the correlation. However, others argue that this is an oversimplification and that the correlation is implied by the singlet state of the system.
entropy1
Suppose we have a source of polarization-entangled photons, that fires pairs of photons in opposite directions at two detectors with orientation-adjustable polarizationfilters in front of them. Obviously, there is a correlation between the orientation of the respective filters and the joint detection correlation. Equally obvious is that the measured correlation is cos2(β-α), with α and β the angles of the respective filters.

So, in my eyes this seems to suggest that the distribution of the detection of the photons at either side gets at least partly influenced, or even determined, by the orientation of the filters or the quantitative value of the correlation (cos2(β-α)). Mind you, the distribution of the detections! This can happen at the one side, the other side, or both sides, we don't know.

Does the fact that the distribution of the detections gets consequently and lawfully 'affected' not suggest that the detections are not completely random, but rather pseudorandom? That is, to consistently constitute a certain correlation between the detections at both sides, we have to have more than 'pure' random distributions at each end?

NOTE: It seems to me a relation between space (orientation of the filters) and time (the moment of detection yes/no), in relation to quantization (that we get a correlation in the first place).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
Does the fact that the distribution of the detections gets consequently and lawfully 'affected' not suggest that the detections are not completely random, but rather pseudorandom? That is, to consistently constitute a certain correlation between the detections at both sides, we have to have more than 'pure' random distributions at each end?

NOTE: It seems to me a relation between space (orientation of the filters) and time (the moment of detection yes/no), in relation to quantization (that we get a correlation in the first place).

I don't see how your idea relates to the difference between pseudo-randomness and true randomness. I associate pseudo-randomness (in this context) with there existing a cause of an outcome.

There are reasons to suggest there is a "cause" to outcomes (see EPR). But there are also reasons to reject those (see Bell).

DrChinese said:
I don't see how your idea relates to the difference between pseudo-randomness and true randomness. I associate pseudo-randomness (in this context) with there existing a cause of an outcome.
I would say the orientation of the filters has an influence on the distribution. If you could call that a 'cause', I don't know...

On the other hand, maybe more should be taken into account and I am oversimplying this matter, which would be plausible. :biggrin:

In a way, one could see the wavefunction of the entangled pair as a 'cause' for the correlation, could it? However, this seems to me an easy way out.

entropy1 said:
In a way, one could see the wavefunction of the entangled pair as a 'cause' for the correlation, could it
"In a way..." seems too weak to me, as the correlation is clearly implied by that wavefunction - an ensemble of particles in the singlet state has to produce those correlations. You prepare a system in a state such that something will happen, then that something happens... There's no great surprise here.
However, this seems to me an easy way out.
That is a matter of personal taste. You may not be satisfied with that resolution, but the minimal statistical crowd generally is.

Likes entropy1
Nugatory said:
"In a way..." seems too weak to me, as the correlation is clearly implied by that wavefunction - an ensemble of particles in the singlet state has to produce those correlations. You prepare a system in a state such that something will happen, then that something happens... There's no great surprise here.

That is a matter of personal taste. You may not be satisfied with that resolution, but the minimal statistical crowd generally is.
The joint wavefuntion, the singlet state, consists of two product states in superposition defined to be opposite to each other right? So, unless someone could explain to me why not, it seems to me as if correlation in terms of states is rather defined than implied.

1. What is the concept of pseudorandomness of correlation?

The pseudorandomness of correlation refers to the degree of apparent randomness in the correlation between two variables. It occurs when there is a relationship between two variables that appears to be random, but is actually influenced by other factors.

2. How is pseudorandomness of correlation different from true randomness?

Pseudorandomness of correlation differs from true randomness in that it is influenced by other factors, whereas true randomness is completely independent and unpredictable. Pseudorandomness can also be replicated or predicted, while true randomness cannot.

3. What causes pseudorandomness of correlation?

Pseudorandomness of correlation can be caused by confounding variables, which are factors that affect both variables being studied and can create the appearance of a relationship between them. It can also be caused by sampling bias or measurement error.

4. How do scientists account for pseudorandomness of correlation in their research?

Scientists can account for pseudorandomness of correlation by identifying and controlling for confounding variables, using random sampling techniques, and minimizing measurement error. They can also replicate their studies to ensure the consistency of results.

5. What are the implications of pseudorandomness of correlation in scientific research?

Pseudorandomness of correlation can have significant implications in scientific research, as it can lead to incorrect conclusions or misleading findings. It is important for scientists to be aware of this concept and take steps to minimize its effects in their studies.