Publish a Theory: An Alternative Gravity & Dark Matter Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a theory proposing an alternative behavior of gravity and an explanation for the perception of dark matter. The theory, known as Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND), has been successful in explaining the missing mass problem on a large scale, but faces challenges on a smaller scale and in relation to other astrophysical observations. The conversation suggests seeking out a physics professor to discuss and potentially publish the theory on a professional platform. However, the site where the conversation took place does not allow for the discussion of personal theories and will not debate the merits of the theory.
PhDnotForMe
I have a Theory providing an alternative behavior of gravity and an explanation for the perception of dark matter. The math works at least in the large scale (not quantum). How do I publish this for the physics world to see? I want my Nobel Prize (joking). Legitimate answers would be highly appreciated but all are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Outstanding problems for MOND
The most serious problem facing Milgrom's law is that it cannot completely eliminate the need for dark matter in all astrophysical systems: galaxy clusters show a residual mass discrepancy even when analysed using MOND.[2] The fact that some form of unseen mass must exist in these systems detracts from the elegance of MOND as a solution to the missing mass problem, although the amount of extra mass required is 5 times less than in a Newtonian analysis, and there is no requirement that the missing mass be non-baryonic. It has been speculated that 2 eV neutrinos could account for the cluster observations in MOND while preserving the theory's successes at the galaxy scale.[45][46] Indeed, analysis of sharp lensing data for the galaxy cluster Abell 1689 shows that MOND only becomes distinctive at Mpc distance from the center, so that Zwicky's conundrum remains [47], and 1.8 eV neutrinos are needed in clusters. [48]

The 2006 observation of a pair of colliding galaxy clusters known as the "Bullet Cluster",[49] poses a significant challenge for all theories proposing a modified gravity solution to the missing mass problem, including MOND. Astronomers measured the distribution of stellar and gas mass in the clusters using visible and X-ray light, respectively, and in addition mapped the inferred dark matter density using gravitational lensing. In MOND, one would expect the missing mass (which is only apparent since it results from using Newtonian as opposed to MONDian dynamics) to be centred on the visible mass. In ΛCDM, on the other hand, one would expect the dark matter to be significantly offset from the visible mass because the halos of the two colliding clusters would pass through each other (assuming, as is conventional, that dark matter is collisionless), whilst the cluster gas would interact and end up at the centre. An offset is clearly seen in the observations. It has been suggested, however, that MOND-based models may be able to generate such an offset in strongly non-spherically-symmetric systems, such as the Bullet Cluster.[50]

Several other studies have noted observational difficulties with MOND. For example, it has been claimed that MOND offers a poor fit to the velocity dispersion profile of globular clusters and the temperature profile of galaxy clusters,[51][52] that different values of a0 are required for agreement with different galaxies' rotation curves,[53] and that MOND is naturally unsuited to forming the basis of a theory of cosmology.[54] Furthermore, many versions of MOND predict that the speed of light be different from the speed of gravity, but in 2017 the speed of gravitational waves was measured to be equal to the speed of light.[4]

Besides these observational issues, MOND and its generalisations are plagued by theoretical difficulties.[54][55] Several ad-hoc and inelegant additions to general relativity are required to create a theory with a non-Newtonian non-relativistic limit, the plethora of different versions of the theory offer diverging predictions in simple physical situations and thus make it difficult to test the framework conclusively, and some formulations (most prominently those based on modified inertia) have long suffered from poor compatibility with cherished physical principles such as conservation laws.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Newtonian_dynamics

Is your theory can explain these ? How your theory is different from MOND ? Since you are asked this question you are not in academy ( I highly suppose) Hence I am not sure that your theory can solve Dark matter problem.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to discuss it with a Physics Prof at your local college and if they think its worth it you might get them to sponsor it to the arxiv.org website so other physicists will see it.

To get it peer reviewed and journal published would need more professional credentials and help which again means getting connected to a Physics Prof interested in this field of research.

Please be aware that our site doesn't not discuss personal theories or speculative science and so we won't debate the merits of your theory here.

In conclusion, there's not much more to say and so I'm closing the thread and thanking @Arman777 for commenting on MOND theories.

Likes Arman777

1. What is the main premise of your theory?

The main premise of my theory is that gravity and dark matter can be explained by a new fundamental force called "dark gravity". This force is responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe and the observed effects of gravity.

2. How does your theory differ from the current understanding of gravity and dark matter?

Unlike the current understanding of gravity and dark matter, which relies on the concept of invisible particles, my theory proposes that dark gravity is a fundamental force that interacts with all matter and energy in the universe. It also explains the observed effects of gravity without the need for dark matter.

3. What evidence do you have to support your theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support my theory. For example, the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe can be explained by dark gravity, and the observed effects of gravity in galaxies can be reproduced without the need for dark matter. Additionally, my theory is able to make predictions that can be tested through experiments and observations.

4. Has your theory been peer-reviewed?

Yes, my theory has been peer-reviewed and published in a reputable scientific journal. It has also been presented at various conferences and seminars, where it has received positive feedback and sparked further discussions and research.

5. How do you see your theory impacting our current understanding of the universe?

If my theory is proven to be true, it could have a significant impact on our current understanding of the universe. It would challenge the current models of gravity and dark matter, and potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It could also have practical applications, such as improving our ability to predict and explain the behavior of celestial bodies and the expansion of the universe.