Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pulley Problem for Engineering Dynamics Course

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    The cable at C is being pulled down at a velocity of [tex]4 \frac{ft}{s}[/tex]. The cable at C is also decelerating at a rate of [tex]2 \frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]. At what velocity and acceleration is the block at A moving?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/729/engr204problem121795wl.jpg [Broken]

I have the following equations for the problem worked out:

[tex]\ell\,=\,2\,S_A\,+\,\left(h\,-\,S_B\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\,\left[\ell\,=\,2\,S_A\,+\,\left(h\,-\,S_B\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]0\,=\,2\,V_A\,-\,V_B[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{V_C}{2}[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{-4}{2}\,=\,2\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

This answer is NOT correct, it is off by a factor of two. Can anyone tell why?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pulley C moves at half the speed of the cable around it. So C is moving down at 2 ft/sec and the cable attached to C is also moving at 2 ft/sec, which is the cable around A. Pulley A must be moving at 1/2 the rate at which the cable around it is moving.

AM

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much!

I guess I was just not thinking of a simple solution because I thought that I would be complicated to figure. The obvious 1/2 velocity result of the right hand pulley is what threw me!

Anyways, the correct answer is:

[tex]V_C\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,(-4\,\frac{ft}{s})\,=\,-2\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{-2}{2}\,=\,1\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook