1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Problem for Engineering Dynamics Course

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    The cable at C is being pulled down at a velocity of [tex]4 \frac{ft}{s}[/tex]. The cable at C is also decelerating at a rate of [tex]2 \frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]. At what velocity and acceleration is the block at A moving?

[​IMG]

I have the following equations for the problem worked out:

[tex]\ell\,=\,2\,S_A\,+\,\left(h\,-\,S_B\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\,\left[\ell\,=\,2\,S_A\,+\,\left(h\,-\,S_B\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]0\,=\,2\,V_A\,-\,V_B[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{V_C}{2}[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{-4}{2}\,=\,2\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

This answer is NOT correct, it is off by a factor of two. Can anyone tell why?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pulley C moves at half the speed of the cable around it. So C is moving down at 2 ft/sec and the cable attached to C is also moving at 2 ft/sec, which is the cable around A. Pulley A must be moving at 1/2 the rate at which the cable around it is moving.

AM

4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much!

I guess I was just not thinking of a simple solution because I thought that I would be complicated to figure. The obvious 1/2 velocity result of the right hand pulley is what threw me!

Anyways, the correct answer is:

[tex]V_C\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,(-4\,\frac{ft}{s})\,=\,-2\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_A\,=\,-\frac{-2}{2}\,=\,1\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?