Pulley system (ideal pulley) Find the angle with vertical line

In summary, the conversation discusses using ideal pulleys and strings with no friction to find the numerical value of theta, the acceleration of two blocks, and the tensions in terms of m and g. The equations used include T1=T2*cosθ, T1=T2*sinθ, and a=m1*g/(m1+m2), with the conclusion being that cosθ=sinθ and θ=45° and a=m1*g/(m1+m2) can be used to find the values of T1 and T2.
thirteenheath
Ideal pulley and strings, no friction.The pulley and the second string don't move.
I need to find the numerical value of theta, the acceleration of the two blocks and the tensions.Accelerations and tension must be given in terms of m and g.I guess
2T1=T2
T1=m2*a
m1*g-T1=m1*aTo find theta I need to know the angle between T2 and T2*cosθ.
Are these equations correct?What is missing?

Attachments

• ps.png
    ps.png
    4 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thirteenheath, welcome to PF.

T2, the tension in chord 2 is not parallel with the forces of tension (T1, one horizontal and one vertical), chord 1 exerts on the pulley. Add them as vectors to get the force on the pulley. As the pulley does not move, the resultant of the tensions must be zero.
You can eliminate T1 from the last two equation and get the acceleration of the blocks.

ehild

Thanks ehild!

Oh I see...So if I understood we'll have

T1=T2*cosθ

T1=T2*sinθ

Then cosθ=sinθ and θ=45°.

Plus, through the last two equations in the previous post we find that

a=m1*g/(m1+m2).

Now I just need to replace the acceleration in any of the previous equations to find the values of T1 and T2.

Is that it?

Thanks again. =)

thirteenheath said:
Thanks ehild!

Oh I see...So if I understood we'll have

T1=T2*cosθ

T1=T2*sinθ

Then cosθ=sinθ and θ=45°.

Plus, through the last two equations in the previous post we find that

a=m1*g/(m1+m2).

Now I just need to replace the acceleration in any of the previous equations to find the values of T1 and T2.

Is that it?

Thanks again. =)

Yes, it will be all right.

ehild

Hello,

I would first like to clarify the situation described. From the given information, it seems that there are two blocks connected by a string running over an ideal pulley, and there is no friction in the system. The pulley and the second string are not moving. Additionally, the system is subject to the forces of gravity, represented by the acceleration due to gravity, g.

Now, to find the angle with the vertical line, we need to consider the forces acting on each block. The first block, with mass m1, is being pulled down by its weight, m1*g. This force is balanced by the tension in the string connected to it, T1. The second block, with mass m2, is being pulled up by the tension in the string connected to it, T2. Since the pulley is ideal, the tension in the string on either side of the pulley is equal, so we can say that T1 = T2.

To find the angle, we can use trigonometry and consider the right triangle formed by the two strings and the vertical line. The angle we are looking for is the angle between T2 and T2*cosθ. Therefore, we can say that T2*cosθ = m1*g. From this, we can find the value of cosθ, and then use inverse cosine to find the angle θ.

To find the accelerations of the two blocks, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). For the first block, we can say that the net force is equal to the tension in the string (T1), and the mass is m1. Therefore, we can say that T1 = m1*a1. Similarly, for the second block, we can say that T2 = m2*a2. Since we know that T1 = T2, we can equate these two equations to get m1*a1 = m2*a2. We also know that the acceleration due to gravity is acting on both blocks, so we can add this to the equation to get m1*a1 = m2*a2 + m1*g. From this, we can solve for the accelerations of both blocks, a1 and a2.

Finally, to find the tensions in the strings, we can use the equations we derived earlier for T1 and

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object.

2. What is an ideal pulley?

An ideal pulley is a simplified version of a pulley system in which the pulley is frictionless and has no mass. This means that there is no energy lost due to friction and the pulley does not add any additional weight to the system.

3. How do you find the angle with the vertical line in a pulley system?

To find the angle with the vertical line in a pulley system, you need to first identify the direction of the force being applied to the pulley. Then, measure the angle between the direction of the force and the vertical line. This angle is known as the mechanical advantage and is used to calculate the efficiency of the pulley system.

4. What factors affect the angle in a pulley system?

The angle in a pulley system is affected by the number of pulleys, the direction of the force, and the weight of the object being lifted. The greater the number of pulleys, the smaller the angle will be. Additionally, the direction of the force can also affect the angle, as it determines the direction in which the weight will be lifted.

5. How is the ideal pulley system used in everyday life?

The ideal pulley system is used in various everyday applications, such as elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. It is also commonly used in fitness equipment and in the mechanics of vehicles. The use of an ideal pulley system allows for easier and more efficient lifting of heavy objects.