How to Solve Pulley and Normal Force Problems Using Newton's Laws

In summary, a student weighing 80.0 kg stands on a 20.0 kg platform and exerts a downward force of 300 N on a long rope connected to two frictionless, ideal pulleys. The correct answer for the downward acceleration of the system is 7 m/s^2, and the normal force exerted by the platform on the student's feet is 420 N. The key to solving these problems is to draw free body diagrams and properly apply Newton's laws.
starprincess

Homework Statement

An 80.0 kg student stands on a 20.0 kg platform and applies a steady downwards force of 300 N on a long rope; the rope extends up from the students hands passes over pulley#1 at the top and then under pulley #2; finally the rope is attached to the bottom of pulley #1, as shown in the figure. Assume that the ropes and pulleys have negligible mass and that the pulleys are ideal and frictionless. The top pulley remains at rest.

IMAG0127.jpg

Homework Equations

See figure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing the weight of the student which equals 784 N - the force (300 N) = 484.
However, the correct answer is 420... I do not know how to arrive at that value.

Another similar problem:
IMAG0129.jpg

Need to find the normal force which the platform exerts on the student's feet:

My attempt same as first problem: 784 N - 160 = 624.
However, the correct answer is 480 N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normal force should just be 80*9,81- the upward force the person is exerting-the weight of the block(i get 440)??,

Last edited:
looking at the first problem and the solution i get with my method makes me think that what i just said is wrong... do you know what the pulleys are there for... have you been doing anything with pulleys that I am missing.

No, I only know as much as what the given information states.

Help please?

OK sorry for the long reply time, this problem had me screwed for a while..
Problem 1:
Fnet=100*10-300 this was a big problem for me to solve your text takes g as 10 not 9.81 (should say if not 9.81)
Fnet=700
therefore they both have a downward acceleration of 7m/s^2
but...
the block has a force of 7*20 and the person 80 * 7 (F=ma with a being 7 not 10)
so Normal force equals 560-140 = 420N!

please tell me if you need more help and if this is useful to you

Last edited:
You have to draw free body diagrams and properly apply Newton's laws when solving these problems. You should also note that the cable tensions T1, T2, and T3 must be equal when frictionless, massless, ideal pulleys are used. Thus, when you look at the man/platform system, 900N pulls up on the system, and the weight of the system, 980 N, acts down. That's a net force on the system of 80N down. Calculate the downward acceleration of the system using Newton 2, then look at the forces acting on the man alone, to solve for the Normal force, again using Newton 2 and the same acceleration for the man as was determined for the system. Use a similar approach in the 2nd problem.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, typically to make it easier to lift or move an object.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or belts, making it easier to lift or move. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates, and the weight of the object is distributed evenly across all of the ropes attached to the pulley.

3. What is the normal force on a pulley?

The normal force on a pulley is the force exerted by the surface of the pulley on the rope or belt that is in contact with it. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the pulley and helps to support the weight of the object being lifted or moved.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the normal force?

The number of pulleys affects the normal force by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. With multiple pulleys, the weight of the object is distributed over more ropes, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. This also reduces the amount of normal force exerted on each individual pulley.

5. What are the applications of pulleys and the normal force?

Pulleys and the normal force have many applications in everyday life, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also used in industrial settings to lift heavy objects and in transportation systems such as elevators and ski lifts. Additionally, pulleys and the normal force are essential components in many machines and mechanisms, making tasks easier and more efficient.