1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulse-Jetsserious or not?

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    I am a student of Mechanical Engineering and plan to do some serious projects in Pulse-Jets. I also plan to apply to some US universities for masters .. and I was wondering if the projects done in Pulse-Jets does count? I know some other hi-tech projects other guys make .. do matter wen they apply .. but am not sure about the buzzing pulse-jets as projects to count on. Maybe becoz they are old and almost out of practical use .. they still fascinate me. The bottomline is: "should I continue with them .. or should look up with something other things .. ?"
    Have already made almost half a dozen of 'em .. but " will matter or not " bothers me .. forcing me to think about quittin' them!!
    Thanx for the support .. nyways!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2
    Just a bump .. to keep this post alive~Can anyone clear me on the "projects" thing?
  4. Feb 14, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Have you search google for "Pulse Jets", or "Pulsed Jets", or "Pulse","Jets" or "Pulse Jet","NASA"

It's an old concept going back to the V1 (buzz bomb) in Germany.

Also called "Pulsed Detonation Engines".

Structure of a pulse jet. II - Energy balance in a transient zone

One could also try - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_jet

Pulse Detonation Engine Development

NASA Glenn Research Center did have a page on PDE, but it seems to have expired.

It is perhaps best to learn theory and applications of CFD for a variety of flows and engines.
  5. Feb 14, 2007 #4
    Hey thanx buddy .. thanx for the additional information .. I know baout what pulse jets are and have already made half a dozen of 'em and at the moment working over a remote controlled airplane propelled by a pulsejet, maybe two pulse-jets. But what I exactly wanted to know is that, will working over the pulse-jets is going to be a fruitful effort? Becoz someone told me that these are old and out of use these days so it wont gimme enough credit if I apply for my majors after two years from now on! This puts all my fire on a real low and I just dont feel like completing the unfinished projects! I dont know if to trust those people (who told me so) or not .. but whatever..its giving me a hard time!! Can anyone answer this query?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?