Buy 6-8ft Blackboard for Home: What to Consider

• Thread starter TheOldHag
  • Start date
In summary, you can purchase a quality blackboard for around 800 dollars on the internet. Shipping is likely to be a killer though.
TheOldHag
This is a miscellaneous question. How does one go about purchasing a quality blackboard around 6 feet to 8 feet long for home use. What are some of the variables to consider when making such a purchase. For me, I much prefer blackboards to dry erase so that would not be one of the options to consider.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely there must be school supply companies on the internet that would be happy to sell you one. Shipping is likely to be a killer though.

phinds said:
Surely there must be school supply companies on the internet that would be happy to sell you one.

Try office supply companies as well. I bet there are more installed in company meeting rooms than there are in academic institutions.

There is paint you can buy which drys as an effective blackboard. Far cheaper than purchasing a normal one, and you can turn an entire wall into a blackboard.

TheOldHag said:
This is a miscellaneous question. How does one go about purchasing a quality blackboard around 6 feet to 8 feet long for home use. What are some of the variables to consider when making such a purchase. For me, I much prefer blackboards to dry erase so that would not be one of the options to consider.

Ok oldhag, I sympathize with you. I even had one in my office at one time. Still though, . . . the dust. Yeah, the dust. Sure you dont' mind that dust huh? May I ask if you've already had a personal black board already and have adequately and successfully contended with the dust, and now, today, are wishing to get another black board -- or -- you've never had one and just like the idea and once you get one and experience the full experience of said dust, will wish you had made the decision to go dry?

There are entire school districts that are converting from blackboards to whiteboards. My wife and I have an entire kitchen counter and back-splashes that are populated by recycled blackboards, aside from a special corner that was covered with a slab of fossil-stone that we got from a friend. It's all stone, and it is easy to take care of.

jackmell said:
Ok oldhag, I sympathize with you. I even had one in my office at one time. Still though, . . . the dust. Yeah, the dust.

Not to mention the chalk you'll have on your forehead when you inevitably bang your head against it in frustration.

jackmell said:
Ok oldhag, I sympathize with you. I even had one in my office at one time. Still though, . . . the dust. Yeah, the dust. Sure you dont' mind that dust huh? May I ask if you've already had a personal black board already and have adequately and successfully contended with the dust, and now, today, are wishing to get another black board -- or -- you've never had one and just like the idea and once you get one and experience the full experience of said dust, will wish you had made the decision to go dry?

I've worked with blackboards before and have no problem working the cleaning of dust into my general OCD routine. Probably will be the cleanest blackboard ever. Regarding whiteboards. I work with whiteboards at work and the markers are terrible once they are not at max moisture. I anticipate they will be continually purchasing tons and tons of dry erase markers in those school districts going with whiteboards. Not sure what kind of noxious chemicals the ink is made of but it turns to fine powder as well and can be more problematic than chalk when it gets on stuff.

This blackboard will be for office number 2 in my home which will not have a computer since I believe too much computer time can rot/distract the brain - hence the second office for more focused study.

What are the benefits of buying a 6-8ft blackboard for home?

There are several benefits to buying a 6-8ft blackboard for your home. First, it provides a large surface for writing and drawing, making it perfect for classrooms, offices, or even family use. Additionally, blackboards are durable and long-lasting, making them a cost-effective option for home use. They also offer a classic and nostalgic feel, adding character to any space.

What materials should I consider when buying a 6-8ft blackboard for home?

When purchasing a blackboard for home use, it is important to consider the materials used. Look for a board with a sturdy frame, preferably made of wood, as it will provide better support and durability. The surface of the board should be made of high-quality slate or porcelain, as these materials are smooth and easy to write on. Avoid boards made of low-quality materials, as they may not provide a good writing surface and may not last as long.

How do I choose the right size of blackboard for my home?

It is essential to consider the size of the blackboard before making a purchase. A 6-8ft blackboard is ideal for home use as it provides a large enough surface for writing and drawing, but it also does not take up too much space. Measure the available space in your home and choose a size that will fit comfortably. Keep in mind that larger boards may be more expensive and may require more maintenance.

What are some important features to look for in a 6-8ft blackboard?

When shopping for a 6-8ft blackboard for home use, look for features that will enhance its functionality. Some important features to consider include a chalk tray for easy storage, a sturdy frame for support, and a smooth writing surface. Some boards also come with adjustable legs, making it easier to find the perfect writing height. Additionally, consider purchasing a board with a magnetic surface, which can be useful for hanging notes or papers.

How do I properly maintain a 6-8ft blackboard for home use?

To ensure your blackboard stays in good condition, it is important to properly maintain it. Use a soft, damp cloth to clean the surface after each use, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. Keep the board away from direct sunlight, as it may cause the surface to fade. Also, regularly check the frame and make any necessary repairs to ensure the board stays sturdy. With proper maintenance, your blackboard can last for many years to come.