Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Put some light on my concept of light.

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    In the way we represent an electromagnetic wave (click on http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Electromagneticwave3D.gif) we limit the magnetic field vector and electric field vector till the limit of the amplitude of the wave. But how is it possible ??? because, Magnetic and INDUCED electric field, both are continuous in nature..... and further even if we are limiting them ..... there can be only 1 such arrangement as like in capacitor for electric field....( parallel plates ).
    The light, as an electromagnetic wave really makes me !!!!!! because of its complications and such surprising results.
    please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by this?
    The representation is not an electromagnetic wave. It shows the electric and magnetic field strength (and direction) along a single line. In order to have a proper wave satisfying Maxwell's equations, you need these fields in the whole volume (as it is a planar wave). It would be messy to graph this, therefore the fields are shown for a single line only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook