PVC/plexiglass pressure cap

• Thread starter elixirnova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: But that's just my two cents. :)Plexiglass is acrylic containing a plastic binder, which makes it much stronger and resistant to scratches/clouding. Acrylic is a type of plastic, so it is technically correct to call it Plexiglass.
elixirnova
Yes, I'm new here so forgive me if I am in the wrong forums. I am currently assembling a submergable underwater camcorder housing of 6" diameter pvc pipe. I was wondering what is the diference between plexiglass and double strength plexiglass concerning the pressure it can withstand.

I am going to need to be able to submerge it at most around 2-3ft. I'm sure I can find information on what kind of pressure the water will exhert at 2-3ft below surface, but i don't have a clue what kind of pressure plexiglass itself can withstand. Also if anyone could inform me about double strength plexiglass, would it be any better, or is single strength plexiglass enough to withstand the pressure it will encounter?:blushing:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Only 2 or 3 feet? Don't worry about it, you could make it out of your mom's best china and it would survive! lol If you take it down below about 100 feet, then you might want to do some calculations.

Unless there's some other reason that you need that kind of housing, you might as well just tuck the camera into a Zip Lock bag. It might not be optically clear enough for you, but it would certainly handle more pressure than you'll be dealing with. (Plus you can work the controls right through it without any mechanical connections.)

Well next time I'll remember to go grab a $.99 big bottle of Vess Cream Soda. And use it :rofl: . But till then i guess ill sell a few of these to make back the $30 I paid for PVC pipe :grumpy: .

Another odd question but ever use pvc threaded caps? can they withstand pressure or are they vaunerable to leakage?

Threaded caps are fine, the vast majority are pipe thread. Just put a sealant on the thread and tighten down. There are all sorts of pipe thread sealant. One of the most common is Teflon tape, you just wrap the tape (not sticky) around the male threaded half like a condom and screw them together. I haven't had a complaint yet...

Make sure you wrap the teflon tape in the right direction!

Plexi Glass

I have a similar question as did the man with the plexiglass pressure camcorder. I am wondering how much pressure plexiglass can withstand because I'm doing a submersible project and I need to know if I could use plexi glass for any part of the outer hull of my submersible going down 1000 feet!Please help anyone

I don't know anything abot plexi glass

Anyone know anything:rofl:

:rolleyes::rofl::approve::yuck::cry::cool::confused::zzz::redface::bugeye:

The depth allowable is going to be a function of the hull thickness (among other things). How thick is your hull?

Just as a measure, at 1000 ft, the hydrostatic pressure is going to be about 430 psi.

Is Plexiglass another trade name for Perspex? I.E. acrylic?

brewnog said:
Is Plexiglass another trade name for Perspex? I.E. acrylic?
Pretty much. Yes.

While regular acrylic is very strong, it's prone to scratching and thus becoming cloudy. If the environment in which you're going to be using it is in any way abrasive, I'd consider bonding it to the back side of a thin pane of glass.

1. What is a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap?

A PVC/plexiglass pressure cap is a type of cap used in scientific experiments to create a sealed environment. It is made of a combination of PVC and plexiglass, which are both durable and resistant to pressure changes.

2. How does a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap work?

A PVC/plexiglass pressure cap works by creating an airtight seal on a container, such as a test tube or flask. This allows for the manipulation of pressure within the container, which is important in certain experiments.

3. What are the benefits of using a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap?

One of the main benefits of using a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap is its durability. It is able to withstand high levels of pressure without breaking, making it ideal for experiments that require changes in pressure. It is also transparent, allowing for easy observation of the contents within the container.

4. Are there any precautions to take when using a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap?

Yes, there are a few precautions to take when using a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap. It is important to make sure that the cap is securely tightened to avoid any leaks or accidents. It is also recommended to wear gloves when handling the cap, as it may become slippery when exposed to certain chemicals.

5. Can a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap be reused?

Yes, a PVC/plexiglass pressure cap can be reused multiple times as long as it is properly cleaned and maintained. It is important to check for any cracks or damage before each use to ensure the cap remains effective in creating an airtight seal.