A Material that Can Withstand High Pressure & Caustic Condition

In summary, the individual is seeking a material that can withstand a strong alkaline medium and high pressure. They have limited knowledge in material chemistry and have considered using PVC pipe, but are unsure of its reaction to highly acidic or basic media. They are looking for alternative options and have come across a link (which gives an error message) that may provide information on the chemical properties of PVC.
JeweliaHeart
I am interested in locating a material that can withstand a strong alkaline medium (10 M KOH) and approx. 5 atm pressure... I am somewhat new to material chemistry so all I have been able to think of thus far is PVC pipe.

Through my research I have discovered that PVC is highly fire retardant, durable, and has high tensile strength. These are all very important qualities for my intended design. However, I am unsure of its reaction to highly acidic or basic media. Also, I'm not sure if there are any better alternatives.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does http://www.pvc.org/en/p/chemical-resistancehttps://www.spilltech.com/wcsstore/SpillTechUSCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/documents/ccg/CBOOM.pdf help?

Hmmm. That link does not open. I get this error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Zend_Controller_Exception' with message 'EXCEPTION_OTHER' in /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/applications/pvc_org/application/modules/content/controllers/IndexController.php:66 Stack trace: #0 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/library/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Content_IndexController->pageAction() #1 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/library/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('pageAction') #2 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/library/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #3 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(97): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #4 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/library/Zend/Application.php(366): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run() #5 /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/public_html/index.php(51): Zend_Application->run() #6 {main} thrown in /home/pvcorg/domains/pvc.org/applications/pvc_org/application/modules/content/controllers/IndexController.php on line 66

Well. Do what I did. Search on "property of materials" or "chemical properties" specific to polyvinyl chloride.

1. What is a material that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions?

A commonly used material that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions is stainless steel. It is a strong and corrosion-resistant alloy that can maintain its structural integrity even under extreme conditions.

2. How does a material withstand high pressure and caustic conditions?

A material that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions must have high tensile strength and chemical resistance. This allows it to withstand the force of high pressure and the corrosive effects of caustic substances without degrading or breaking.

3. What industries commonly use materials that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions?

Industries that commonly use materials that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions include oil and gas, chemical manufacturing, and food and beverage production. These industries often require equipment and pipelines that can withstand harsh environments without compromising safety or efficiency.

4. Are there any other materials besides stainless steel that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions?

Yes, there are other materials that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions such as titanium, nickel alloys, and certain types of plastics and composites. The choice of material will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the application.

5. What are the limitations of materials that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions?

While materials that can withstand high pressure and caustic conditions are durable and resistant, they may still have limitations. For example, they may not be suitable for extremely high temperatures or may have limitations in terms of compatibility with certain chemicals. It is important to carefully consider the specific conditions and requirements of a project before choosing a material.