PWM 1Khz-500Khz Packet Pulsing w/ Gating

• Thread starter Farlander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pwm
In summary, this person is trying to build a water fuel cell, and is having trouble with microcontrollers. They are trying to build a circuit that replicates the waveform in the video, using digital oscillators.
Farlander
Hello everyone,
First time posting here, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I'm building an HHO generator, otherwise known as a water fuel cell, or high efficiency electrolyser. The concept is to separate water using a high voltage signal at resonance instead of current.

What I need to do is build a DC square wave generator that can pulse a step up transformer coil and induce high voltage discharges. I've tried building several circuits using the LM324 and 555 timer chips, but none can compare with the performance of this unknown circuit, who's waveform is shown here:
http://hydrogencollective.com/PacketPulser1.mpg"

I think this is a modified version of the so called Dave Lawton D14 circuit, using two 555 oscillators, shown here http://students.umw.edu/~jsera9mu/wfc%20site/index.27.bmp"

Any thoughts on how to modify the D14 to emulate the wave in the video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Seems like a better approach would be to use digital oscillators to make your waveforms, instead of 555 timers. Use a 74HC4060 with a crystal as the digital waveform source, and add some digital circuitry after all of the divider outputs to make whatever waveform you want...

http://www.lookrs232.com/img/74hc4060.gif

Thanks berekeman,
That schematic looks good, could you explain what the q4-q7 are with the 9600, 4800, 2400 and 1200 next to them? Is the 2.4 mHz a maximum? I'm really at a loss about microcontrollers? if that's what this is, I'm guessing programmable via software and interface with usb perhaps?

An advantage to the whole setup would be the ability to detect resonance frequency, using a phase lock loop design. This occurs when input frequency matches output frequency, so the ability to measure output and set input is eventually going to be necessary.

Last edited:
Farlander said:
Thanks berekeman,
That schematic looks good, could you explain what the q4-q7 are with the 9600, 4800, 2400 and 1200 next to them? Is the 2.4 mHz a maximum? I'm really at a loss about microcontrollers? if that's what this is, I'm guessing programmable via software and interface with usb perhaps?

Ah, sorry. It's a 14-bit ripple counter with oscillator capability included:

http://www.national.com/ds/CD/CD4020BC.pdf#page=1

So you connect a crystal (and a couple other parts) as shown in the datasheet, and then connect logic to the outputs of the ripple counter. Keep in mind that it is a ripple counter, and not a synchronous counter, so you need to be careful how you use the outputs, depending on the frequencies.

Can you describe in more detail what the waveforms will look like? What is the basic waveform, and how do you want to vary it? If you want to do some PWM control, what range of duty cycle, and what bandwidth do you need on the PWM itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Happily -- the video above is the best summation of the desired waveform. The inventor calls it pulse packeting. A regular DC square wave is generated, with adjustable frequency AND pulse width[_-_-_-_-_]. Then, the signal can be gated, creating pulse trains with variable width, i.e._-_-_-_____-_-_-______-_-_-_____

The purpose of the adjustable square wave is three fold:
1, pulsed DC or AC is required for the coil to function, since the output is a result of the collapsing magnetic field in the primary windings.

2, by varying frequency we can tune the circuit to voltage resonance, where the inductance (coil effect) matches the capacitative reactance (capacitor effect). In this case, the water tank is the capacitor. At resonance, very little amps are consumed and voltage spikes, generating a field strong enough to separate the h20 molecule.

3, the preferred embodiment of the water fuel cell uses concentric tubes as the electrodes, meaning that the pitch of the wave should match the tubes harmonic resonating frequency, causing ultrasonic vibrations in the tubes which further enhance dissociation.

Thanks!

Any takers?

Sounds like a load of nonsense.

1. What is PWM?

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It is a technique used to control the amount of power delivered to a device by varying the width of the electrical pulses. It is commonly used in electronics and is an efficient way to control the speed of motors, brightness of LEDs, and other applications.

2. What is the frequency range of PWM 1Khz-500Khz?

The frequency range of PWM 1Khz-500Khz refers to the range of frequencies or cycles per second at which the pulses are generated. In this case, the PWM signal can be adjusted to have a frequency between 1 kilohertz (Khz) and 500 kilohertz (Khz).

3. What is packet pulsing in PWM?

Packet pulsing in PWM refers to the process of grouping multiple PWM pulses together in a packet to achieve a specific output. This technique is commonly used in communication systems to transmit data over a PWM signal.

4. What is gating in PWM?

Gating in PWM refers to the process of controlling the time interval during which the PWM signal is on or off. This allows for precise control of the output signal and is often used in power converters to regulate the amount of power delivered to a device.

5. What are some common applications of PWM 1Khz-500Khz Packet Pulsing w/ Gating?

PWM 1Khz-500Khz Packet Pulsing w/ Gating is commonly used in a variety of applications such as power converters, motor control, LED dimming, and communication systems. It is also used in audio amplifiers and battery charging circuits.