Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building An Infrared Remote To Control Triacs

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    Hey there PF!

I'm currently working on building an Infrared Remote to control a series of triacs. The objective is to create a "remote control power bar". The original plan was to use push button switches to toggle the Q lead of a 4013, each of which houses two switching circuits.

Q and NOT-Q toggle when CP receives a clock pulse. R is a reset so I can turn all of the circuits off at once.

The 4013 triggers a MOC3011, which isolates the 4013 from the large AC voltages/currents. Inside inside the 3011 is a LED and a photo-transistor. The LED gets turned on when Q goes high and in turn activated the photo-transistor. In turn the IC triggers a triac.

What I want to do is design the setup to work with either the touch-switches or be triggered by an infrared controlled setup.

Here is a schematic of the original circuit. I've crossed out the touch switches at the top because they didn't work properly. Now there is pair of resistors, a capacitor, and a schmit trigger that generate the clock pulse.

What I'm thinking of doing is having the infrared remote send a clock pulse to the 4013 instead of directly triggering the MOC3011. That way I can still use physical switches if the remote fails.

I found this schematic on the internet:

The IC ULN2830 is a typo apparently, I think it's supposed to be 2803, which makes it a bunch of darlington pairs. I figure I can eliminate that and program the PIC to generate a clock pulse and trigger the 3014

Current Problems:
    1. I don't have a programming board for the 14 pin PIC
    2. I don't know how to write in PICBasic

Actually the same site that schematic is from (HERE) has some code for the transmitter and reciever, but I don't know how to modify it to do what I want.

Does anyone here have past experience with this?
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted