Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Python, making a float of a list

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    I have made a list of data from a file, the file contains numbers and I want to calculate with the numbers. How do I make a float of a list where a[1] is: ['0.00500006128645'], I tried to just use float, but then I got:
    float() argument must be a string or a number

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

map(float,a) will give you a list of floats.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry. English is not my native language. I have a list of the acceleration of an object at some descrete and equally spaced points. And I am supposed to calculate the velocity by computing the integral numerically, but I can't manage to get the floats oit of the list.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you do a=map(float,a) then a is now a list of floats. The first float is a[0], etc.

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    I tried, but I just got: TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number

f = open("acc.dat", "r")

a = []
    for lines in f:
    numbers = lines.split()
    a.append(numbers)

f.close()

a = map(float,a)

7. Oct 14, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Add a 'print a' statement before the 'map' statement to see what is actually going into the 'map'. You'll see that it's not a list of strings. It's a LIST of 'lists of strings'. You don't really want to append the list of strings 'lines.split()' to a, you want to concatenate it. Change 'a.append(numbers)' to 'a=a+numbers'. Python is VERY easy to debug. Use print statements to follow the program flow. If you don't understand exactly what a function does, play with it using the interactive interpreter.

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook