1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python useful for engineer student?

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1

462chevelle

Gold Member

I'm taking linear algebra through edx just to get my eyes on the subject. Some of the work in the class requires you to to vector operations on Python. Is it going to be useful for me to learn this stuff for engineering? Or should i just focus on the linear algebra.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

DataGG

Gold Member

I'm no engineer, nor am I studying to become one. That said, python is used in engineering. What's your major?

If you want/need to do vector operations in python, then you need to learn both vector operations (Algebra) and python.

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

462chevelle

Gold Member

Lately I've been juggling Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace engineering. Due to my work experience Mechanical or Electrical are more likely though. I'm learning the Algebra to go along with the programming. The programming is going even slower to me than the Algebra though. A couple Engineering students I talked to told me that I needed to learn Matlab over any other kind of computer programs. I wouldn't think Python would hurt, I just wanted to make sure it would be beneficial to study that in my free time, or if I should be hitting Calculus pretty hard. Since I'm taking Calculus 1 next semester and won't be taking Linear Algebra for at least a year and a half. Besides, to me Linear Algebra is quite a bit more difficult than Calculus 1. Everything is taught in general variable form, instead of examples.

5. Mar 9, 2014 #4
    Python is good for processing data/text files vs, say Fortran, which is good for computations. If you go into research, Python is a good tool to have available.

6. Mar 9, 2014 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I'm an electrical engineer. We use Python all the time. It is becoming the de-facto language to control lab equipment and some people are using it to replace Perl and TCL is processing and formatting large data sets. Its use is growing from what I see.

7. Mar 9, 2014 #6

462chevelle

Gold Member

Thanks, I think I'll just spend more time doing programming then the heavy Linear Algebra computations. I can get heavy into Linear Algebra at a later point. Programming for me is rather difficult, the only programming I have done is with C++, and I wouldn't call it programming. All I have done is modify a program someone else designed.

8. Mar 10, 2014 #7
    Some engineers frequently program, others never do so, but learning a programming language is never not going to be useful.

9. Mar 11, 2014 #8

donpacino

Gold Member

Im an electrical engineer. I use python to automate processes on my computer

10. Mar 13, 2014 #9
    A lot of universities have been switching from Matlab to Python given that Python has the libraries to do everything Matlab can and it is free. Additionally, physics departments seem to be more into Python then Engineering. My school however has switched from having more Matlab courses to more Python in the engineering department. They are slowly weening students from Matlab to Python. I myself use both Python and Matlab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook