1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Q]Do you know about exact form of Group velocity and meaning of Group Delay?

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    Hi, It is long time to come here sine i graduate University.

Anyway, My question is whether exact form of Group velocity is [tex]\frac{dw}{dk}[/tex]

or [tex]\frac{dw}{dk}|_{\bar{k}}[/tex]

I want to know whether Group velocity is independent of K, propagation number

Becasue Group velocity is 'proper' speed of generally complex wave in comparision with

phase velocity So These exists only one Group velocity of certain wave which should not be

dependent of any K

Second Question is what does Group delay means? I have to drive Formula of Group delay

,[tex]\frac{d\varphi }{dw}[/tex] but i don't know what does it means.

Please Solve my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If [itex]\omega[/itex] is a linear function of k, then [itex]d\omega/dk[/itex] is a constant and the group velocity is well-defined.

If [itex]\omega[/itex] is not a linear function of k, then [itex]d\omega/dk[/itex] varies with k and one cannot speak of "the" group velocity, strictly speaking. Nevertheless, if a wave packet includes only a small range of k's, one can speak approximately of a group velocity by evaluating [itex]d\omega/dk[/itex] at [itex]\bar k[/itex], for a certain period of time. After a "long" period of time, the wave packet "falls apart."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook