Q on solution of Spherical Harmonic

Schrödinger equation is a differential equation, just like the wave equation. The solutions of the Schrödinger equation are complex waves, while the solutions of the wave equation are real waves.
maverick6664
I read the solution for spherical harmonic using associated Legendre polynomials, and am wondering...

For example, a solution is written in here, but I wonder why the constant in forumula (3) can be determined as [tex]-m^2[/tex], as a negative value of square of an integer.

Similar thing applies to the [tex]r[/tex] variable (in the above page it doesn't appear, though),

[tex]{r(\frac {\partial^2} {{\partial r}^2})(rR(r))} / {R(r)} = l(l+1)[/tex]

Here, I can understand this should be a constant, but cannot understand why it's a form of [tex]l(l+1)[/tex] where [tex]l[/tex] is an integer...

Will anyone tell me??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We know "the constant" in eqn (3) is constant, so we have the freedom to call it *whatever* we want, as long as it is indeed constant. Calling it -m^2 is just a trick because it simplifies the algebra later on (when you get the equation (4)).

Another way to explain it is that the differential equation:

(d^2 X)/(dY^2) = (-c^2)*X

Is a pretty standard one (ie, it crops up a lot in various bits of physics and maths), and we know the solutions to it (given by eqn (4) on your link). So when you come across the equation:

(d^2 X)/(dY^2) = S*X , S=const

You recall the other differential equation and see it's better to write S as -m^2 because then we immediatly have the solutions because it's just a standard differential equation.

As for the other question, I suspect it's for the same reason, but I'm not sure.

maverick6664 said:
I read the solution for spherical harmonic using associated Legendre polynomials, and am wondering...

For example, a solution is written in here, but I wonder why the constant in forumula (3) can be determined as [tex]-m^2[/tex], as a negative value of square of an integer.

Good question. Well, actually, you can take any constant that you want. The fact that -m² is taken, is a direct consequence of , err, some mathematical "playing"...Here it goes :

[tex]L_z \Phi_m( \phi) = m \hbar \Phi_m( \phi)[/tex]
[tex]-i \frac {\partial}{\partial \phi} \Phi_m( \phi) = m \Phi_m( \phi)[/tex]
[tex]-i \frac {\partial ^2}{{\partial \phi}^2} \Phi_m( \phi) = m \frac {\partial}{\partial \phi}\Phi_m( \phi) = \frac {m^2}{-i} \Phi_m ( \phi)[/tex]

Thus

[tex]\frac{1}{\Phi_m (\phi)} \frac{\partial ^2}{{\partial \phi}^2} \Phi_m ( \phi) = \frac{m^2}{i^2} = -m^2[/tex]

QED

marlon

edit : if i can make a suggestion : you should not be studying this from a website, nomatter how reliable it is. What books are you using for your QM course ?

Last edited:
zeta101 said:
As for the other question, I suspect it's for the same reason, but I'm not sure.

Correct. There are several ways to explain this :

1) structure of the Legendre Polynomials

2) symmetry of the physics at hand (ie the orbitals) : grouptheory

3) combining following two aspects:
a) the eigen equations for [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex]
b) [tex] <L^2> \geq <L_z^2>[/tex] because [tex]L_x[/tex] and [tex]L_y[/tex] are Hermitian

regards
marlon

edit : again, do not use an internet site as your primary source of study

Last edited:
Thanks all! I think I've understood: My understanding is, all the solutions of Laplace equation in spherial coordiates are represented with these m and l using associated polynomials, so these "discrete constants" are proved to be enough to solve this equation.

As you all say, if these discrete values are just for convenience (just to simplify), it's enough to me.

I'm now mainly reading Greiner's "Quantum Mechanics: an introduction" because it has a lot of calculations and exercises.

Last edited:
maverick6664 said:
Thanks all! I think I've understood: My understanding is, all the solutions of Laplace equation in spherial coordiates are represented with these m and l using associated polynomials, so these "discrete constants" are proved to be enough to solve this equation.
You mean Schrödinger equation, right ?
As you all say, if these discrete values are just for convenience (just to simplify), it's enough to me.
Well, be careful with this vocabularium. It is not just about "convenience". These values are used for a specific reason : because they are building blocks of the correct description of nature. One can, and one DOES, prove them using one of the three systems that i outlined in my previous post. Which of the two is your book using ? Probably the second one if it is introductory.

regards
marlon

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using Spherical Harmonics in scientific research?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that are widely used in scientific research to describe and analyze the behavior of physical phenomena on a spherical surface. They are particularly useful in studying problems involving spherical symmetry, such as the Earth's gravitational field, the distribution of mass in the universe, and the behavior of electrons in atoms.

2. How are Spherical Harmonics calculated and represented?

Spherical harmonics are calculated using complex numbers and involve the use of Legendre polynomials. They are typically represented as a series of terms, with each term containing a coefficient and an exponent. The coefficients and exponents are determined based on the specific problem being studied, and the series can be truncated at a certain point to simplify the calculation.

3. What are the applications of Spherical Harmonics in different fields of science?

Spherical harmonics have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including physics, mathematics, geology, astronomy, and computer graphics. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of physical systems with spherical symmetry, such as atoms and molecules. In mathematics, they are used to solve differential equations and to represent functions on a sphere. In geology, they are used to model the Earth's gravitational field and to study the movement of tectonic plates. In astronomy, they are used to analyze the distribution of mass in the universe. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic 3D images and animations.

4. What are the advantages of using Spherical Harmonics over other mathematical functions?

Spherical harmonics have several advantages over other mathematical functions when it comes to studying problems with spherical symmetry. They are orthogonal, which means they are perpendicular to each other and can be used to describe complex shapes and patterns. They also have a compact representation, which means they can be expressed using a small number of terms, making them computationally efficient. Additionally, they have well-defined symmetry properties, making them useful in solving problems involving rotations and reflections.

5. Are there any limitations to using Spherical Harmonics in scientific research?

While Spherical Harmonics are a powerful tool in scientific research, they do have some limitations. They are most effective when studying problems with spherical symmetry, so they may not be applicable to all types of research. Additionally, their use requires a good understanding of complex numbers and mathematical concepts, which may be challenging for some researchers. They also have a limited range of convergence, meaning they may not accurately represent some more complex functions. However, these limitations can often be overcome with careful mathematical techniques and the use of other complementary methods.