QM field separation principle

In summary, the QM field separation "principle" is a concept that may have connections to spinor representations and the Clebsch-Gordan theorem, but its exact meaning and application is unknown due to the lack of a concrete reference. It is a term that the speaker "came across" and is looking for further understanding and potential use in the context of mathematics.
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
QM field separation "principle"

I came across a term called "QM field separation "principle"" (or theorem, method etc.) and was left thinking, whether this is simply identifiable to general representation of fields (tensor ones typically) as a sum of their symmetric and antimetric components (like determining field properties by looking at it with respect to these 2 properties), or does it have something deeper in it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
PerennialII said:
I came across a term called "QM field separation "principle"" (or theorem, method etc.) and was left thinking, whether this is simply identifiable to general representation of fields (tensor ones typically) as a sum of their symmetric and antimetric components (like determining field properties by looking at it with respect to these 2 properties), or does it have something deeper in it ?

I'm sorry to dissapoint u,but when you want an explanation to a notion,don't say "I came across..."and not state the exact words (the qoute really should imply an entire phrase,which should make sense),because,as i haven't heard of this principle u say (or maybe i have,but under other name),you'd leave the reader puzzling "Whatthe hell is that??"
Anyway,it may have a connection with products of spinor representations of the restricted Lorentz group and the Clebsch-Gordan theorem,or it may not.

Hoping u'd be taking my advice,

Daniel.

I'm sorry to dissapoint u,but when you want an explanation to a notion,don't say "I came across..."and not state the exact words (the qoute really should imply an entire phrase,which should make sense),because,as i haven't heard of this principle u say (or maybe i have,but under other name),you'd leave the reader puzzling "Whatthe hell is that??"
Anyway,it may have a connection with products of spinor representations of the restricted Lorentz group and the Clebsch-Gordan theorem,or it may not.

Hoping u'd be taking my advice,

Daniel.

The whole issue surfaced in a discussion with a physics colleague at an airport running through a terminal :biggrin: (and I can't reach the guy for a couple of weeks or so)... so unfortunately it is a "came across" thing if there is one, without a really concrete reference. It's a bummer I know, but it's something I could use if it is a math tool developed and applied in the context. I haven't been able to link it to any theorem, so it's likely a representation ... got to dig.

1. What is the QM field separation principle?

The QM field separation principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the state of a quantum system can be described as a combination of two separate fields, one of which represents the particle aspect and the other represents the wave aspect.

2. How does the QM field separation principle differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, a system can be described solely in terms of particles, while in quantum mechanics, the state of a system must be described using both particle and wave aspects. This is because particles in the quantum world exhibit wave-like properties, and the QM field separation principle takes this into account.

3. What is the significance of the QM field separation principle?

The QM field separation principle is significant because it allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of quantum systems. It helps explain phenomena such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle, which cannot be fully explained using classical physics.

4. How does the QM field separation principle relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical representation of the QM field separation principle. It describes how the wave function of a quantum system changes over time, and how the particle and wave aspects of the system are related.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the QM field separation principle?

Yes, the QM field separation principle is used in various fields, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also plays a role in the development of technologies like transistors and lasers.