Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM field separation principle

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

QM field separation "principle"

I came across a term called "QM field separation "principle"" (or theorem, method etc.) and was left thinking, whether this is simply identifiable to general representation of fields (tensor ones typically) as a sum of their symmetric and antimetric components (like determining field properties by looking at it with respect to these 2 properties), or does it have something deeper in it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry to dissapoint u,but when you want an explanation to a notion,don't say "I came across...."and not state the exact words (the qoute really should imply an entire phrase,which should make sense),because,as i haven't heard of this principle u say (or maybe i have,but under other name),you'd leave the reader puzzling "Whatthe hell is that??"
    Anyway,it may have a connection with products of spinor representations of the restricted Lorentz group and the Clebsch-Gordan theorem,or it may not.

Hoping u'd be taking my advice,

Daniel.

4. Dec 9, 2004 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The whole issue surfaced in a discussion with a physics colleague at an airport running through a terminal :biggrin: (and I can't reach the guy for a couple of weeks or so).... so unfortunately it is a "came across" thing if there is one, without a really concrete reference. It's a bummer I know, but it's something I could use if it is a math tool developed and applied in the context. I haven't been able to link it to any theorem, so it's likely a representation ... got to dig.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?