Self-Learning QM: Is It Difficult?

In summary: I am getting stuck on the following: in quantum mechanics, what is the difference between a particle and a wave?
kent davidge
(Sorry for my bad English.) I've been reading severous QM textbooks that people say are good to learn QM: Sakurai, Shankar, Thankappan. I start reading and understand things in principle, but then I don't get anymore. The only book I think really helped me was QM by McIntyre but it goes not deep in the subject. So is it hard for one person self learn QM, are those books not good enough for self-learning or am I retarded? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
We (the knowledgeable members, that is) are here not to judge the intellectual/comprehension abilities of people, we are here to provide alternative and hopefully clearer (where these exist) explanations to things people put down in textbooks. You say: „I start reading and understand things in principle, but then I don't get anymore”. This is vague, we cannot know which part from which book is left unclear to you. Is it the math, is it the wording, perhaps one author really makes a mistake (A doesn't follow from B, while the author says A follows from B), we don't know and couldn't know without your input. It is not the end of the world if you want to learn something by yourself, just make sure you ask the answerable questions.

Likes vanhees71, QuantumQuest and smodak
I agree with dextercioby. Also try the susskid book and the susskind lectures

kent davidge said:
(Sorry for my bad English.) I've been reading severous QM textbooks that people say are good to learn QM: Sakurai, Shankar, Thankappan. I start reading and understand things in principle, but then I don't get anymore. The only book I think really helped me was QM by McIntyre but it goes not deep in the subject. So is it hard for one person self learn QM, are those books not good enough for self-learning or am I retarded? :cry:

Yes, it can be very hard to self-learn anything. So don't feel bad. Persist and it will come naturally.

What is your math and physics knowledge? Are you sure you meet the prereqs for QM?

Likes vanhees71 and QuantumQuest
micromass said:
Yes, it can be very hard to self-learn anything. So don't feel bad. Persist and it will come naturally.

What is your math and physics knowledge? Are you sure you meet the prereqs for QM?
I study physics at university. Here in my country it's commom to learn mathematics at first, then this year I'm getting calculus and linear algebra classes. But because I like physics so much, I started studying that topics about 1 year ago. So what I know from mathematics is all basic calculus and linear algebra and from physics I know the basics of all subjects. But I'd like to learn deeper about general relativity, quantum mechanics etc.

Where are you getting stuck?

kent davidge said:
So what I know from mathematics is all basic calculus and linear algebra and from physics I know the basics of all subjects. But I'd like to learn deeper about general relativity, quantum mechanics etc.

Admirable ambition but I also want also underline a (famous) quote

'' All things at its time ''

Ssnow

atyy said:
Where are you getting stuck?
Ssnow said:
Admirable ambition but I also want also underline a (famous) quote

'' All things at its time ''

Ssnow
:smile:

1. Is a strong background in math necessary to understand self-learning QM?

A strong background in math is definitely helpful, but not necessary. Self-learning QM can be approached from different angles and some concepts can be understood with a basic understanding of algebra and calculus.

2. How long does it take to learn self-learning QM?

The time it takes to learn self-learning QM varies from person to person. It depends on the individual's prior knowledge and learning style. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to become proficient in self-learning QM.

3. Can self-learning QM be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, self-learning QM has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It has been used to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics, materials science, and machine learning.

4. Is self-learning QM only for advanced researchers?

No, self-learning QM can be learned by anyone with an interest in the subject. While it may be more challenging for beginners, there are many resources available for self-learning and understanding the fundamentals.

5. What are the benefits of using self-learning QM over traditional methods?

Self-learning QM allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics, as it focuses on building mental models and visualizations rather than just equations. It also allows for a more flexible and adaptive approach to problem-solving, as it encourages experimentation and exploration.