1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM, the convergence of the harmonic oscillator function.

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    1. After finding out that the wave function ##\Psi(z) \sim Ae^{\frac{-z^{2}}{2}}## in the limit of plus or minus infinity Griffiths separates the function into two parts ##\Psi(z)=h(z)e^{\frac{-z^{2}}{2}}##

My question will be about a certain aspect of the function ##h(z)##

After solving the ODE series method, one finds a certain recursion relationship for the coefficients of h(z) with an even and odd part.

As Griffiths notes for coefficients ##a## of this function, very far up (k large), ##a_{k+2} \approx \frac{2}{k} a_{k}##

The next equation suddenly states the following: ##a_{k} \approx \frac{C}{(k/2)!}##

I don't understand this step. Let me show you why my reasoning leads me to the wrong conclusion:

Let's start again from what we know: ##a_{k+2} \approx \frac{2}{k} a_{k}##. Applying the same thing for ##a_{k}## and plugging in will give: ##a_{k+2} \approx \frac{1}{k/2} \frac{1}{k/2 - 1} a_{k-2}##

Keep doing this and I find that ##a_{k+2}=\frac{B}{(k/2)!}## In the book this where I have k+2 stands k and I can't figure out why it's more correct than what I have here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello again,

I'm pretty convinced you won't be pleased with this, but hear (read) me out... :)

What matters here isn't the exact value of this ak (or ak+2, for that matter), but the ratio of these coefficients for really big k.

Anything to do with the precise value can be swept in what Griffiths calls C ("for some constant C" -- anything you don't want to be bothered with: throw it in there. As long as it doesn't keep growing with k you're fine).

Mind you, you want to be way above j = K/2 before you come even close to aj+2 / aj ##\ \approx\ ## 2/j !

(I find I'm unconsciously switching to Griffiths' indices j now, sorry..)

And even after all these years, I find it almost miraculous that from this kind of reasoning one is simply forced to conclude that K can NOT assume arbitrary values, but MUST be exactly equal to 2j + 1 for some j, however big. A hair difference and the power series runs away like ##e^{x^2}##. Awesome !

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3
    You were right, I was hoping for having made a stupid reasoning mistake or having overlooked something. The real reason seems to be less elegant than I would have liked but what can you do. Nothing to do with your answer, it was great, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted