Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Casimir Operator of SU(3)

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    I need to construct the Casimir op. of group SU(3).
    I have these relations;

T2=[tex]\sum C_{i}_{j}T_{i}T_{j}[/tex] i,j=1,2....,8 ...eq1
    [Ti , Tj]= [tex]\sum f_{i,j,k} T_{k}[/tex] ...eq2

[T2 , Ti]=[[tex]\sum C_{i}_{j}T_{i}T_{j}[/tex] , Ts]=[tex]\sum C_{i}_{j}T_{i}[T_{j}, T_{s}] + \sum C_{i}_{j}[T_{i}, T_{s}]T_{j} [/tex]=0 ...eq3

[Tj,Ts]=[tex]\sum f_{j,s,m} T_{m}[/tex] ...eq4
    [Ti,Ts]=[tex]\sum f_{i,s,m} T_{m}[/tex] ...eq5

[T2 , Ti] = [tex]\sum C_{i}_{j} \sum f_{j,s,m} T_{i} T_{m} + \sum C_{i}_{j} \sum f_{i,s,m} T_{m}T_{j} [/tex]=0 ...eq6

by the way;
    * I normalized the system. i=1
    ** i'm still improoving my mathematical skills because of that i might use more sum operator that i need. sorry for that.
    *** All the indexes are in [1,8] range, i,j,k,s,m = 1,2,....,8
    **** f coefficients are known!

I have the Ti matrices but i need to compute Ci,j constants to construct the quad. Casimir op.

1. Is the eq6 right?
    2. If it's right , can i collect all of components in ONE sum operator? how the indexes change?
    3. How could i compute the Ci,j constants?

Thanks for you patience and advices.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you mean T_s on the left side, not T_i. Otherwise it looks good.
    Again, it's T_s pn the left side nsteas of T_i
    by the way;
    * I normalized the system. i=1
    I am not sure what you mean by this. i is an index ranging over the number of generators.
    Normalization has to do with defining the trace of a product of two generators to have some specific value, for example [itex] Tr (T_a T_b) = \delta_{ab}/2 [/itex]

To make progress, I would take the trace of you rfinal result and use the fact that the trace of two generators is chosen to be [itex] Tr(T_a T_b) = C \delta_{ab} [/quote] where is an irrelevant constant. Then you shoul dbe able to show that the coefficients [itex] C_{ij} [/itex] must be antisymmetric when [itex] i \neq j [/itex] and there is no restriction when [itex] i = j [/itex]. So a possible choise is [itex] C_{ij} =0 [/itex] for [itex] i \neq j [/itex] and [itex] C_{ii} = 1 [/itex] which is the conventional choice.

At first sight, I don't see more restrictions on the coefficients but I haven't looked at the problem in detail.
  4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    [Ti , Tj]=[tex]\sum i f_{i,j,k} T_{k}[/tex] i is a complex number.

I use the word "normalization" in simplification meaning. I took the complex i=1 to simplify the equation.

Last part of your post is not so clear. could you please repost it again?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry if my post got garbled.
    I was saying that if we take the trace on both sides of your result and we use that
    [itex] Tr (T_a T_b) = C \delta_{ab} [/itex] where C is an irrelevant constant, then one can show that for [itex] i \neq j [/itex] we must have [itex] C_{ij} = - C_{ji} [/itex].
  6. Feb 2, 2009 #5
    I'm done with it.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. Feb 2, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome. What did you find? What conditions did you find the C_ij must obey? I am wondering if I missed some trick.
  8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    As you said,

for [itex] i \neq j [/itex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Cij = -Cji

That's enough to define the C coefficients.
    Using [ T2 , Ts ] = 0 [s=1,2,....,8] commutation relations I get the coefficient equations like -C12 - C21= 0 and more of them. With theese equations I define all Cij = 0 for [itex] i \neq j [/itex] and also I define that C11=C22=C33=.......=C88.
  9. Feb 3, 2009 #8

Science Advisor

10. Feb 4, 2009 #9
  11. Feb 4, 2009 #10
  12. Feb 4, 2009 #11

Science Advisor

13. Feb 4, 2009 #12

Science Advisor

A very important concept in the study of Lie algebras is the symmetric Cartan metric, defined by

g_{ij} = f_{ikl}f_{jlk} = \left( ad(X_{i})\right)_{kl} \left( ad(X_{j})\right)_{lk} = Tr \left( ad(X_{i}) ad(X_{j}) \right) = g_{ji}

By using the Jacobi identity for the structure constants, we can derive the following (very) important identity***

[tex]g_{ij}f_{jnk} = - g_{kj}f_{jni} \ \ \ \ (R)[/tex]

We use the Cartan metric to construct the second-degree Casimir "operator"

[tex]C_{(2)} = g_{ij} X_{i}X_{j}[/tex]

[tex][C_{(2)} , X_{n} ] = g_{ij}f_{jnk}X_{i}X_{k} + g_{ij}f_{ink} X_{k}X_{j}[/tex]

Changing the dummy indices in the second term leads to

[tex][C_{(2)},X_{n} ] = ( g_{ij}f_{jnk} + g_{jk}f_{jni} ) X_{i}X_{k}[/tex]

It follows from Eq(R) that the LHS is identically zero, i.e.,

[tex][C_{(2)}, X_{n}] = 0, \ \ \forall {n}[/tex]

Thus, according to Schurs lemma, [itex]C_{(2)}[/itex] is a multiple of the identity in any irreducible representation.

For compact, semi-simple or simple Lie algebras like su(3), the Cartan metric can be diagonolized, i.e.,

[tex]g_{ij} = c \delta_{ij}[/tex]

This means that the structure constant is totally antisymmetric. In this case, it is trivially obvious that

[tex][C_{(2)}, X_{n}] = c ( f_{ink} + f_{kni}) X_{i}X_{k} = 0[/tex]

In the non-abelian gauge theories, one takes the Lagrangian for gauge field as

[tex]\mathcal{L} = - \frac{1}{2} g_{ij}F_{i\mu \nu}F_{j}^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

for some real symmetric and constant matrix [itex]g_{ij}[/itex]. In order for this Lagrangian to be locally gauge invariant, the matrix [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] must satisfy the identity of Eq(R).
    We can also show that this identity restricts the possible gauge group to be compact (semi-)simple Lie group. This is why I described that identity as "very" important.

14. Feb 4, 2009 #13
    Thanks for the detailed information. As a newbie of Group Theory, I need all info that i can get.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?