1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Drag

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    For a force F = −mg ± cv^2 (the sign is chosen so the drag force is opposite the motion), you can use a trick: let u = v^2, and generate a differential equation for u(x) (not u(t)!), which is not too hard to solve. (Hint: the chain rule gives this dv/dt=dv/dx * dx/dt should help.)
    a) Solve this to show that a projectile thrown vertically upwards from the ground with speed v0 reaches a maximum height y=V(t)^2/2g*(ln(1 + V(o)^2/V(t)^2, where V(t) is the terminal speed.
    b) Show that the projectile hits the ground with speed V(f) given by:
    V(f)^-2=V(o)^-2 + V(t)^-2

So, part a) is ok, I have that after quite a bit of math, but I'm a little lost on b). When a projectile hits the ground, thats usually at t((y) = 0, but there is not time term in this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So let's call T the time when the projectile hits the ground.
    What do you know about the value of y(T)?
    The final velocity is V(T) = V(f).
    This should give you an equation.

Also, please check the answer you are supposed to derive... is there really a V(t) in there?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I obtained the desired result, so I suspect that you may have used the wrong sign in front of 'c' during the falling portion of the motion.

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you aren't going to all the trouble of actually finding x(t) (or y(t) if that's what you're calling it)!

All you really need to do is find [itex]u(x)=v^2(x)[/itex] as the projectile falls from a height of [tex]x=\frac{v_t^2}{2g}\ln\left(1+\frac{v_0^2}{v_t^2}\right)[/tex] to [itex]x=0[/itex]. The impact speed will simply be [itex]v_f=v(x=0)=\sqrt{u(x=0)}[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?